? asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

How to focus on school despite depression?

For a year and a half now I've spiralled into a deep depression. I am now in year 12 and find it impossible to surpass it and get on with my work and find motivation before the thoughts of "whats the point" "you're useless" yadda yadda come.

The problem is all my school years I got 90's and was told I'll be really going somewhere. Because of how I am now, those marks have gone way down, and I mean basically the polar-opposite (kinda).

I know I'm not an idiot, but this depression is basically my life, how do I find motivation?

Like just some advice would help :) Also I have a psychologist.

Favorite Answer

I think the best thing to do is to talk and get medications for this.

Source(s): Its what I'm going to do, I am in grade 12 as well.

The way that I finished college with severe depression:

study 45 minutes, take a 15 minute break, and REWARD yourself. Then study another 45 min, and take a 15 min break, and reward again. Repeat. If you are too depressed for that, then study 30 min, take a 15 min break and reward. get a bowl of ice cream, call a friend, read a novel, play a game, whatever you love, for that 15 min break.

Study in the morning if you were too depressed to study the night before. You won't get it all done, but you will finish some studying. Time pressure is a heck of a motivator.

in math, do the easy problems first, just by looking at the example problems in the book, then when the probles get harder, you will have to go back and read and understand that section's theory.But it will be so much easier, because you already did the easy problems and got the gist of what is going on! This saves precious time and energy.

In science classes, go thru the chapter and read the captions under the pictures, study the graphs and data tables a bit, THEN go back and read the chapter, and it will make a lot more sense. Again, a time and energy saver.

Now to be fair to you, I disclose that I did flunk classes in college, but I have severe bipolar disorder and was sexually abused all my childhood by multiple people, and horrifically bullied a lot worse than any of those news stories you hear about kids, also, so there are many factors that were working against me. Since you already have depression, make sure you don't take out student loans! They must be paid back, because you already know you have a psychiatric disability. In my case, I had no idea what was going on, and I got a lot worse with treatment (I have nothing good to say about meds) and so they were forgiven when I could not work in my career anymore. I hope this will not happen to you! I think mental health services make a LOT of people sicker than they would have been without the "help." Look into going to a peer recovery program. Your therapist will probably know of one. Also get the WRAP plan

http://www.idamaecampbell.org/files/40263519.pdf and fill it out and see if that helps you.

good luck!

***

PS I realize that last paragraph sounds funny - I flunked classes off and on in college, because I cycled in and out of depressions. But most of the time, I passed or did well, and I was getting a math and geology degree, which is a bit harder than most degrees. I always got A's in my liberal arts classes - they were so easy.

Just Pray To God Blv Me I Was Really Sad But When I Got To Know Who God Is I Became Happy In A Way That I Never Knew Before Once You Know The Plan That God Has Made For You And How Much Your'e Worth You'll Be Happy :D

maybe you need medication. depression is a disease just like everything else but it can also be a symptom. have a doctor run blood work and brain scans and other tests to determine if anything phsyical or any infections are causing your depression. if they cant find anything physical, then its probably best to seek a psychiatrist and get some antidepressants to treat your depression. medications now days work very effectively and depression is treatable and conquerable. good luck and keep ya head up

Imagine if your best friend came to you, asking for support. What would you say if she called herself useless, and pathetic? What would you do to uplift her from feeling apathetic about her grades and life? The way we treat ourselves sometimes seems to contrast so significantly to how we would treat our loved ones. I think that is the first step to self-acceptance. We have expectations for our loved ones, but we also forgive them for making mistakes and inevitable human errors. We support, uplift and motivate them to do their best in every possible way but treat ourselves with the reverse standards at times. Think of yourself from a third-person perspective and begin weeding out negative thoughts about yourself. Optimism and confidence will grow over time and propel you into success.

Use your education as a tool to hurdle over your depression. Set goals for yourself to keep your focus. The hardest part about studying is getting started. Use the momentum from completing one task to complete another. You have the potential to do this. You are obviously intelligent and have previously been accomplished. There is no reason that your accomplishments can't be furthered. Search "Quote garden" or "Good reads" for inspiration. Buy yourself a cork or white board or inspiration journal / art-diary where you can collect photos, quotes and memories that provide you with a positive outlook. Exercise regularly to feel healthier and reap the benefits of endorphins. I've linked an article below in the sources about the connection of mental health and exercise. Climbing out of depression for me was accelerated a lot by sticking to an exercise program that gave me structure and motivation.

I was also depressed during my second last year of high school. I tried to be strong for so long, before finally breaking down and seeking the help that I desperately needed. It's awesome that you're seeing a psychologist and are on your way to achieving happiness and reclaiming your life. A few therapy sessions for me helped me to re-focus and pluck up the courage to persevere. I felt like I was stuck and began to stop applying myself to school, like you. I stopped attending classes on days where I felt too depressed to do anything. To other people in the school, I was a vibrant, friendly achiever who was involved in many extra-curriculars and had a public leadership role. Inside, I felt lonely, ugly and discontent. I graduated last November and life has already improved for me so much. Realize that high school is not the be all and end all of your existence. In many ways high school is great - as you are in your youth and freed from many of the demanding responsibilities of adulthood - but it is also difficult and probably not the "best days of your life" as so many claim.

You can do this :-)

All the best to you,

★ Lorna

Btw, I think you're a fellow Aussie by "Year 12" and not "Senior year". Just a guess, haha. If you want to chat, vent or whatever my email is activated on my profile. :)

Meet your freind mary jane . She'l take care of u

The right antidepressant could really help you if you are not already on one.

in 12,i dont think it's.

else

get a pet.

سلام