Does anyone know of any engineering challenges faced during the development/construction of the Atomic Bomb?

During the Manhattan Project

Please include websites/sources!

Favorite Answer

The one I remember from a television documentary, was the problem with the timing and firing of the multiple charges on the radio active uranium or plutonium core of the bomb. This was one method of obtaining a critical mass.

The core was apparently cast to a dimension just a bit larger than the critical mass. The explosive charges surrounding the core had to be exploded simultaneously in order to compress the core to the critical mass. If one fired too late, or too early, the critical mass size was not achieved and the bomb would not create a chain reaction. They made the bomb safe during transportation to the target by disconnecting some of the charges.

I'm sure there were other problems of greater importance, but I don't recall them at the moment.

TexMav

There is lots of stuff out there on the web. Do a search and take you pick.

By the way, TexMav is right about the explosive timing problem.

• Tommy

Enrichment of enough uranium for a bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-25