Are these places safe to visit at night?

Hi guys, going to NYC soon and have been told to stay away from some places. Are these places safe to visit at nighttime? If not, how about during the day?

Harlem

Spanish Harlem

Morningside Park

Central Park

Battery Park City

Bedford-Stuyvesant

Flushing

South Bronx

Thanks guys!

Favorite Answer

(Nighttime/Daytime)

Harlem - (NO/YES - along 125th Street, outside of that you risk.)

Spanish Harlem - (NO/YES - with street smarts and on main streets - 1st, 2nd Aves, E. 116, E. 125)

Morningside Park - (YES - along Broadway / YES)

Central Park - (NO/YES)

Battery Park City - (YES/YES)

Bedford-Stuyvesant - (certain parts NO/YES)

Flushing - (YES/YES)

South Bronx - (NO/YES - with street smarts and main streets - Third Avenue/149th Street area. Grand Concourse, SAFE during a Yankee Game)

On the areas that I listed as "street smarts", as long as you walk in the areas as if you "own" it and are aware of your surroundings, you should be fine. But if you walk in there "scared", people can pick up on that and that's where you risk having something happen to you.

• LJ

Flushing is fine, day or night.

Battery Park City is fine at any time.

Central Park is fine (and delightful) in the daytime. Only go at night is there is an event there (a concert or something) and then stay with the crowd.

Morningside park is fine for daytime. I don't know about the night.

As for he others, it depends. These neighborhoods are diffuse and some parts are okay, while others....

Look, if you don't live here and know so little about NYC that you are asking this question, you probably can't judge and should just stay out of those areas. I would certainly go to ma y parts of Harlem in the daytime, and still many in the night. I used to work in Bed-Stuy, and it's gotten a LOT better since then. But these areas can change block by block. If you don't have a complex understanding of NYC geography and enough street smarts to know what looks dangerous, you'd be better off staying away.

• DON W

You've received some good, thoughtful answers. The only place on your list where the average tourist visits is Battery Park City, which is fine. Some tourists, particularly those with links to African-American culture, may also wish to visit Harlem, which has improved greatly over the past decades, although I still wouldn't wander around there at night. I don't see why you would want to visit any of the other places.

• Yawker

Unless you have a specific reason for visiting one of those neighborhoods, there's not much of a chance that you'll come across them, especially at night. I don't know many tourists that come to NYC to see the South Bronx, Bed-Stuy or Harlem. Flushing is in Queens, so again, I don't see why you'd go there other than a Mets game. As LJ pointed out, it's not a dangerous neighborhood.

• Jjh

harlem is ok by day but at night people get robbed i know this becuase some of friends got robbed at night

central park is ok by the day but in the night central park is well known for robberies

batterry park city is the best here day or night you can sleep in the park no harm at all

spanish harlem same as harlem

flushing is ok at day and night but in night there is alot of hookers around

beford stuy is ok at day i don't know about night

morningside park crimes are known to be commited at day time

south bronx well police is heavy becuase the courts are there

Source(s): me from new york