Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 9 years ago

Do the Japanese like American pop culture?

I mean younger generations. I've seen many styles of dress that take styles from American culture (ganguro, gal, etc) but I have also heard that many Japanese people dislike anything to do with America, including our pop culture. I personally love Japan, their beautiful people, uniqueness, and rich history. I plan to visit someday soon. Please no mean or rude answers.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • area52
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Japan is the second largest market for American music and movies. Which country is the largest market? The USA. What else do you need to know?

• 9 years ago

Yes. I think Japanese people likes American pop culture. There are so many people who love MJ and American's fashion but the fact is, Japanese people have their own 'style' that they really love. They don't copy other styles because their own style is their pride. But i've seen many Jap people wearing American stuff. :D Japanese likes American music too.

• 9 years ago

The fact is if a Japanese is interested in pops/jazz, he/she definitely listens to American pop/rock/jazz, or he/she would even go to the states to study. Euro-pop/beat is less popular in Japan.

When it comes to classical, they'd rather go to Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy, France)

As for clothing, YES "American Casual" is very popular in Japan. They say "Amekaji":

http://sushi-cat.net/2009/07/04/amekaji-style/

• 9 years ago

Yeah, most all like America and they all look up to America/ Americans. Some people discriminate against Americans, but most don't, and it's only like a really small amount of people who actually hate Americans.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Go work at a liquor store in Hollywood!! They like American pop culture a little too much!!

• 9 years ago

Yes some do and some don'T. A just depends on how much they are exposed to it. Mostly it is what they hear on tv that they like.

• 9 years ago

Some do, some don't. Many Japanese have their own style.

• Violet
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

To my current understanding, they can't get enough of it. They put their own spin on a lot of it, but it's still obviously derived from us & other Western countries.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes some are intrested into it

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

what exactly is the "american pop culture"? do actual americans like it?

Source(s): japanese
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.