Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 9 years ago

Do the Japanese like American pop culture?

I mean younger generations. I've seen many styles of dress that take styles from American culture (ganguro, gal, etc) but I have also heard that many Japanese people dislike anything to do with America, including our pop culture. I personally love Japan, their beautiful people, uniqueness, and rich history. I plan to visit someday soon. Please no mean or rude answers.

• area52
    Favorite Answer

Japan is the second largest market for American music and movies. Which country is the largest market? The USA. What else do you need to know?

Yes. I think Japanese people likes American pop culture. There are so many people who love MJ and American's fashion but the fact is, Japanese people have their own 'style' that they really love. They don't copy other styles because their own style is their pride. But i've seen many Jap people wearing American stuff. :D Japanese likes American music too.

The fact is if a Japanese is interested in pops/jazz, he/she definitely listens to American pop/rock/jazz, or he/she would even go to the states to study. Euro-pop/beat is less popular in Japan.

When it comes to classical, they'd rather go to Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy, France)

As for clothing, YES "American Casual" is very popular in Japan. They say "Amekaji":

http://sushi-cat.net/2009/07/04/amekaji-style/

Yeah, most all like America and they all look up to America/ Americans. Some people discriminate against Americans, but most don't, and it's only like a really small amount of people who actually hate Americans.

Go work at a liquor store in Hollywood!! They like American pop culture a little too much!!

Yes some do and some don'T. A just depends on how much they are exposed to it. Mostly it is what they hear on tv that they like.

Some do, some don't. Many Japanese have their own style.

• Violet

To my current understanding, they can't get enough of it. They put their own spin on a lot of it, but it's still obviously derived from us & other Western countries.

Yes some are intrested into it

what exactly is the "american pop culture"? do actual americans like it?

Source(s): japanese