Is this a good cover letter starter?

I am writing a Cover Letter for a company I am applying to? I wrote the first sentence and wanted to know if it's any good or not? I would call my school but it's Sunday.

For the past 2 years I have been preparing myself at the Itt Technical Institute of Fort Myers for a drafting position that will encompass all of my work and knowledge, to achieve a position at ...

the ... is the company name

• Jim
    Favorite Answer

>I have attended the ITT Technical Institute at Fort Myers so that I may qualify for a drafting position.

That is really what you are saying and I don't have the rest of your thinking to try and iron the rest of it out. Although you are making yourself clear, the sentence is awkward and bulky and needs to be SIMPLIFIED. Obviously, if you are sending a resume, the person reading the resume will see that you have been attending this school for two years and its just redundant (unnecessary) for you to repeat it in a cover letter. Cover letters should never REPEAT what is contained in a resume. All a cover letter is is an introduction to yourself, how much you want or desire the job and the opportunity to say HERE IS MY RESUME.

Dear Mrs. Jones:

Thank you for the opportunity to apply for the position of "_______________________," which was advertised in the Ft. Myers Tribune. Please find enclosed, my resume.

I believe that my schooling and prior experience meet the basic requirements of your advertisement and I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you in an interview.

Thank you for taking your time to read my resume. You may contact me at the below telephone number if you have any questions or require clarifications.

Now, that is a cover letter - clean, simple, every word correctly spelled (you failed to capitalize the TT in ITT - a big huge blunder that would immediately loose you the job! You must be careful to be PERFECT and make no mis-spellings or grammatical errors...that is why being very simple, direct and to the point in a cover letter is all you want to do. Leave the fluff and the wordage out of the cover letter because that is what you will do in the interview, ok? All you want to achieve in the cover letter is a modicum of courtesy, do not overwhelm the reader, keep it simple stupid, and let your resume speak for itself. Got it?

• Chuck

Nope, start with an introduction of yourself and then the purpose of the letter.

I am a recent graduate of ...... the purpose of this letter is to request consideration for employment...