Is belief (or non-belief) a decision?

Favorite Answer

Well.... yes and no. Whatever feels comfortable to you is best. But you can still try to become comfortable to something.

Vehicle speeding towards me and i jump out of its way in a flash.

Your spontaneous decision not based on belief or non-belief.

You don't wait there to take the decision. It just happens.

Belief and non-Belief are just the leisurely activities of mind.

Realisation is a different thing so outcome of both are skeptical.

• While the answer to the above question may depend on the person; to me currently the answer would be No. Belief is the result of a decision; not the decision itself. Also be aware that the devils believe and tremble (James). (Believe, faith, and trust are VERY similar).

• ?

Belief is not a choice.

If that's the case, we could choose to change our beliefs at any time.

Try deciding for a moment that you believe in leprechauns-- you can lie to yourself, but you really can't change your belief by choice.

Belief is something we come by, due to experiences, thoughts, what we've learned, and how we process the information.

No one can choose to believe something that they just do not believe unless some new evidence comes to light.

Likewise, if you're inclined to believe something, until new information is revealed to explain different that makes sense to you, or you have some change of thought process, you will continue to believe it.

Not in any real sense. I have to be exposed to new information for my beliefs to change, I can't just decide I want different beliefs.

No, I don't think so. Faith or lack of faith is more of a feeling than a conscious thought process. You can't sit down and decide to believe in God, or decide not to believe in God... you just do or don't. You can't always change what you believe, even if you want to; in many ways I wish I was religious because I think it would give me more structure and purpose in life... but I just don't believe. :/

Well let's find out, shall we?

For the next five minutes, try to consciously decide to believe in vampires. Can't do it, can you? Nobody can.

not really,since both constitute of being convinced something is true, we just happen to believe or disbelieve things depending on our train of thoughts,so it really isn't a decision.

Hmm, my unbelief wasn't. I just couoldn't make myself swallow the blue pill I guess.

For religion, yes.