John
John asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 9 years ago

Taxes in the United States are just too low?

Every time i think about it, we need better infrastructure, better schools and better envirments and all that comes at a cost. The rich have too much concentration of wealth and taxing them can easily CREATE jobs if spent in the right area.

I'm sorry you conservatives hate this, but there really is no debate about this, it is almost a guaranteed thing that if we rise taxes and use that tax money in the right area the standard of living will rise for all the class below the rich.

Now im not talking about creating a welfare state, im talking about building government projects the makes everyone more productive and therefor in turn creates a better standard of living

Note: When i talk about rising taxes i talk about income tax only

corporate tax is a complicated issue

sales tax is the same idea but still has some bystander effects

fuel tax i also think needs to be rise to give a better incentive to better efficient cars

pollution tax i think needs to be introduced and then passed on to the middle class as a tax cut

Not really, if anything just what you thoughts about it are

Favorite Answer

I agree that infrastructure needs more money. I do not understand what people thing increasing the tax rate on the rich is going to do. From 98-08 I never made more than say 26k/yr. I went to school and got a couple of degrees and am now making 6 figures. My income tax bracket is now 35% freaking percent. That is alot of money. Most of my working life I didn't really pay any taxes at all because I got it all back at the end of the year. You really don't start paying anything until you are at 45k or so. I like the flat tax. I think we should do a 20% state income tax and 9% sales tax. The States can then feed 7% of the states tax revenue to the federal goverment. We should not have to pay property taxes, pet taxes, death taxes, vehicle taxes, etc. There should be no Earned Income Credit. Thats a load of crap right there. I know people who work at mcdonalds and get 14k/year, pay in virtually 0 taxes(since they get it back at the end of the year), and then they get 4500 in EIC on their taxes. They get a credit of 33% of their income just because MC d's doesn't pay them enough. hahaha... She just doesn't want to work more than 20hrs a week. Thats crap man. If I went to school so I could get a better job, I should get to keep that. I don't see how you can say that because you make 14k/y we will pay you , if you make 45k/yr you pay 10cents/dollar, if you make 100k you pay 35cents/dollar.

I think an federal income tax would be unnecessary and is immoral. If we didn't spend so much money on our foreign affairs we would be fine. We didn;t have a fed. income tax until 1913 so why do we need one now? We need it because the presidents since Washington have been slowly expanding the role of federal government in peoples lives where it shouldn't exist at all. Bring it down to a state level where people of the state can better be represented and given the needs. It would be much easier for each state to take care of their people instead of the federal government as a whole.

Yes, I think so. The US tax burden is at the level as it was before the start of the Korean War.

Do you have a question?