Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 9 years ago

I was trying to download an anime episode on Megaupload and then an FBI website showed up what happened?

Favorite Answer

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/ju...

"Seven individuals and two corporations have been charged in the United States with running an international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of numerous types of copyrighted works through Megaupload.com and other related sites, generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners, the U.S. Justice Department and FBI announced today."

• Butler

The FBI recently shut them down.

"On 19 January 2012 the United States Department of Justice seized and shut down the file-hosting site Megaupload.com and commenced criminal cases against its owners and others. On 20 January Hong Kong Customs froze more than 300 million Hong Kong dollars (US$39 million) in assets belonging to the company."

And many other websites have gotten rid of their file sharing options, since they fear meeting the same fate.

If this upsets you, you should probably go look up SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, any petitions to stop them, Operation Black March, etc, etc....before the internet is broken.

I take it you download a TON of stuff illegally right? This is gonna sound paranoid but seriously every once in a while when someone downloads enough stuff to attract attention they will file suit against you. It can include prison time up to five years I think and depending on how much stuff u download a QUITE HEFTY fine. If I were you i would stop all the illegal downloads.

I think you should stop downloading episodes on megaupload.

Megavideo has been shut down by the US federal government. Sorry, it happened a few weeks ago :/

• Lang

Blame US government. They shut it down

SOPA

it's terrible. sigh