If my temporary tags have expired on a car I just bought in Washington DC, can I still get it inspected?

I bought a car in Maryland, but live in DC. I need to get the car inspected, but because I've been traveling for work so much I didn't have a chance yet. Now the temporary tags from the dealership have expired. Can I still get the car inspected so I can get it officially registered?

Favorite Answer

as long as you don't drive it on the city street just trailer it or call a tow truck

Source(s): I drive a wrecker do it all the time
  • Adam

The District DMV will issue you a 5-day temporary tag to allow you to get the car inspected and then properly registered. All the details are available online: http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/registration/register.shtm

The local DMV should be able to issue a 24 hour permit to allow for inspection and similar tasks for a small fee. The car has to be insured when it is on the road.

• Ken G

I think you are going to have a problem in DC as the inspections are done at the DMV inspection station and it usually takes one to three hours go through the lines. I would imagine all your paperwork must be in order. You should take your papers to the DMV office where tags are sold and apply for a new temp tag.