Which Hummus is better, Israeli Hummus or Lebanese Hummus?

I was watching an episode of Hung last night and the episode of the Israeli & Lebanese customers was hilarious, especially when they put the protagonist against the wall on Hummus. I found it just funny, cute and downright sexy, LOL. But when the Lebanese lady claimed that Hummus was of Lebanese origin and the only true way to prepare Hummus was Lebanon Hummus and not a weak Israeli attempt I just could not wait to compare both types of Hummus to get down to the bottom of it. And when the Israeli lady found a bowl of Arabic Hummus in the guys fridge she was outraged, LOL! “What are you doing with this in your house? This is Arab Hummus, Arabs can’t make Hummus worth a damn! You want Hummus you come to me and taste true Hummus not this second rate crap! You think this is funny? (She threw the Arab Hummus in the trash) Get yourself straight!” I laughed so much I went out to get both types of Hummus to try them out but the only Hummus around here is made in either San Francisco or New York. Knowing food you have to have it from the original country to get the true flavor of it. Has anyone out there had Hummus directly from Israel or Lebanon? And can you give your opinion of the two? I am truly curious to find out which is the better of the two or at least understand the difference of the two. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

i,m probably the only one here that has tasted both!

israeli hummus ranges from pretty awful to excellent,you have to know where to go.

n the old town of ac co there,s a grotty place that makes it on the spot in front of you and if you can ignore the spots of hummus flying about,its the best tasting.

my favorite is in the village of isfia near haifa,that is fresh and sprinkled the best tasting nutty olive oil in the country.

in lebanon at the port of sidon is a little stall that makes the best! hummus with pine nuts drenched with amazing olive oil and lafa (a kind of thin pita made on the spot that melts in your mouth)

a plate of that and you're full!

please note that all arab type food has to be made and eaten on the spot otherwise its not only tasteless but dangerous.

It's kinda sad that a lot of the Lebanese side automatically assumes that the Israelis are "trying" to steal Hummus. They legitimately like the food, so they consume it. In reality, whether made by Israelis or Lebanese, it's good; though, the question is for better, which doesn't mean I have to choose one as good. It's just sad that you are criticizing something that isn't an issue.

It's more akin to ideas like who makes better pizza: Italians or Americans? It originates from Italy; yet, the Americans are pretty damn proud of how they make it, and as such it has been integrated in their culture.

Honestly, I've had both, and I can say that I did legitimately prefer the Israeli hummus better. I will concede that I've had it more, so I could have just developed a taste for it, and I wasn't comparing them side by side, so I could be mistaken.

Though, I will say that Hung did get the competitive spirit right. Both countries take hummus as serious business.

• ?

The Lebanese lady wasn't bluffing.

There is no such thing called Israeli hummus.

It is all about trying to connect to the land they claim to be their historical homeland which is not a true claim

They had been always a minority in the land and their claims of kingdom of Israel are phony. Their kingdom of David did not last for more than 70 years and its only mentioned in their books the way they wanted it to look like.

And if you try to locate any proof for their claims you will never find any architectural proof for their side of the story.

Different from the Egyptians, the Phoenicians, the Sumerians, the Assyrians, the Greek and the Romans, Jews did not leave a single wall, temple, statue, column, road, theater proving that they had any relation to Palestine.

Even the Western wall, historians claim it was built by the Romans to protect aa fort they had on top of the mount. All that was found was no more than coins and jars

Even the Temple in Jerusalem, Israelis had been digging for the last 45 years trying to locate it using the most sophisticated equipment but they failed to find any trace for it. All they found were Roman cellar and columns

I never noticed a difference. It depends on the individual making it, not on which border it is made. Best hummus I ever had was made by a Russian.

Never had Lebanese Hummus, the Israeli Hummus I ate tasted like MORE, so I did.

• Lv 5

Israeli Hummus my ***

There is no such thing, it's Lebanese food only, they've nicked most of our things and by claiming it's theirs it's a real insult to the inventor!

• S B

There's no such thing as Israeli or Lebanese hummus. Hummus depends on the maker, each maker uses different ingredients in different quantities.

And the comments about Israel "stealing Arab food" are just stupid. Hummus isn't marketed to the world as "Israeli Hummus", aside from hummus that, you kow, IS MADE IN ISRAEL. And Israeli Falafel is different than the falafel in most Arab countries, and usually served differently. You, as usually, whinning baselessly like Israel stole food from the mouths of your children. Grow up and get a life.

israeli humus is mixed with Palestinians blood........whenever you taste israeli humus remember this.

• Russell5 years agoReport

so what? I should eat more Palestinians, hey I'm a one Palestinian a day guy, besides they have too many carbs.

There's no such thing as "israeli humus" in the first place! They stole Arab food.

• ?5 years agoReport

oh come now they are all swarthy middle eastern types

As usual Arab liars went with the statements without any proof.

Here is quote from Bible which is at least 3,000 years old:

"On the first time Ruth and Boaz had met in Bethlehem, he offered her some humus:

“And at meal-time Boaz said unto her, Come hither, and eat of the

bread, and dip thy morsel in the Himtza ” (Ruth 2-14).

The word “Himtza”. in Hebrew is the name of chick-pees.

Do Ay-rabs have any older proof?