Disc Based Game to Steam?

I have the retail disc edition of Quake 4 and noticed it was on Steam. I installed the latest patch 1.4.2 and i would like to know if I can get the game to be compatible to steam or do you have to buy the game off steam for it to work?

Favorite Answer

Most retail games can't be added to Steam. Only games that use Steamworks as their DRM are generally able to be added because they HAVE to be added to Steam to be played. Quake 4 doesn't use Steamworks so you cannot register it on Steam. You have to buy it on Steam to have it in your library. You can make a Steam shortcut to the game by clicking "Add a game" on your Steam window and selecting "Add a non-Steam game..." and it will give you a list of your programs that you can create a shortcut to on Steam. If you use a Steam shortcut, you can at least get Steam's in-game overlay so you have Friends and Community access.

The list of retail games that can be registered on Steam is here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?re...

Go to activate product on Steam (its under one of the options I don't remember which one ... Its been awhile since I've gone on Steam) and enter the CD-key of the game you wish to add to it