? asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 8 years ago

can i use industiral power inverter to make free energy?

the utility vehicles i use everyday use the alternator to power industrial power inverters that are strong enough to run manhole pumps, impact drills, jackhammers and such. the purpose of these inverters is to replace the need for a generator, while suppling the same power. my question is why do people say this system would not work to produce free energy for the home if it were modified?

so the set up in question is this. small electric motor ( say 1/6 hp or 1/4 hp) - (cheap 1/6 hp motor at 120v uses 7amps at FULL load ) turns a high amperage alternator, one sized for an ambulance or bucket truck (120-140 amp, @ 8,000 rpm). the alternator charges two or 3 large 12v dc truck batteries. the truck batteries feed an industrial sized power inverter (vanner industries model A30-70XG30), this inverter ($4,000) requires about 14v,75 amp input and will continually produce 120v at 30amps , 240v at 15 amps , and 3800 watts. as long as the alternator spins. so even at full load, there is a 23 amp overage from whats being used with that motor. (if you think the 1/6 is too small, then fine, double the full load amperage for a larger motor and we should still have 15-16 amps at 120v to play with)

this set up requires no power from grid what-so-ever. batteries would store enough electricity to run the inverter for quite a bit. inverter in turn, powers the electric motor, - to get the motor started and up to the appropiate speed to make the alternator charge. at speed, alternator charges batteries, batteries both store electricity and power the inverter, ( as its coninually being re-charged from alternator). inverter in turn completes the circle, and now powers the 1/6 hp motor, and still provides at least 20 amps at 120v to power anything else...

as it would seem, this is an entirely closed system, producing more than it uses while its running. since its electric, this can be left on to run indefinately, just like a windmill system. to go one step further - even without the motor running, the batteries will store enough electricy to let the inverter supply "interminent power" as need. at this point, a voltage monitor can be incorperated to monitor the voltage of the batteries, and be pre-programmed to switch the electric motor back on, when the charge drops below a certian point.

now im not saying this system should power an entire house, but anything gained is free at this point. if it could be set up to merely power the blower motor of a furnace, and power all the lights (leds and cfl's), and maybe even the fridge too - i would think that would take a big dent out of one's electric bill. it might even be enough to power a central air system as is, or by upgrading to a larger inverter.

anyway - ive seen multiple posts of people chimming in, saying things like this would never work. so if someone can prove that - please do, casue it seems like simple math to me. keep in mind here - the point is NOT what it would cost to build this vs what you might expect to save a month. so think of it as if someone was able to put this together for free. the question is - would it work..

Update:

i have to say, the physics thing doesnt seem to apply these days, as more and more people are proving that not to be true. also - please take into consideration, the electric motor and alternator are not the same, and the difference with this is that you are producing electricity in a low volt, high amperage form, and then converting it to high volt, low amp.. and to the one of the other answers - yes the altenator will wear out - but that can be 5 years from now, and cost is not in question.. the question is does it work. i cannot see how anyone can show a LOSS of more than twice what the electric motor would draw at full power thats blamed on heat and mechanical losses.. a gasoline engine is only about 20% efficient, but the entire world uses them.

Update 2:

if the physics are thought of - it takes more energy to make less energy - than all things being equal your saying that the electic motor that would turn the altenator, would eat up over 3500 watts and 30 amps just to spin an altenator? if that is not the case then there is a gain isnt there?

Update 3:

ok - then maybe all the scientists that are answering can explain this to me. how is it pobbile, that the same alternator, the same inverter, and the same batteries are powering pumps, heaters and lighting sytems all at the same time that have a combined draw of over 3000 watts total? i took the exact system that is installed on over 4,000 of our trucks, and substituted an motor over a diesel engine. ( and dont you dare say the alternator needs the power a diesel engine to turn it ) the only thing being "changed" is what spins the alternator - and if you graduated high school and know ANYTHING about how an alternator works, you would know that a properly installed altenator only needs a second or two of external power before it creates own magnetic field and becomes self sustaining. - ALSO - if properly installed, the alternator will spin FREELY without creating any magnetic resistance as it produces electricity. THAT IS THE EXACT REASON why people choose to use them wh

Update 4:

http://www.vanner.com/inverters-dynamic-squarewave...

download the manual for the model i specefied.

please go here and explain to the company that designs and manufactures these that "its impossible" for them to work. they are only installed on thousands of utility vehicles belonging to multi billion dollar companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SACQu3mo4

Youtube thumbnail

the laws of physics seem to apply everywhere but this guys garage.

Update 5:

did anyone even read this? you accuse me of creative math but you idiots are not even talking about the same things.

i didnt invent this alternator - battery - inverter system. its been in place WORKING on utility truck for over 20 years. this is basic math - THE INVERTER PUTS OUT MORE THAN IT WOULD TAKE AN ELECTRIC MOTOR TO SPIN A FREE SPINNING PULLEY..

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

yes u can use it.

• 8 years ago

>can i use industiral power inverter to make free energy?

No.

>casue it seems like simple math to me.

If you use the wrong equations, anything is possible.

>i have to say, the physics thing doesnt seem to apply these days, as more and more people are proving that not to be true

Nope. There have always been people who claimed that it doesn't apply. None has demonstrated a practical way around the "laws" of thermodynamics.

>so if someone can prove that - please do,

I welcome you to spend your own money demonstrating I'm wrong. Please use adequate safety procedures because things tend to burn out or blow up when you try to do things like those you describe.

As to "proving" that it doesn't work, come back when you get a degree in physics or engineering.

As for holes in your reasoning, lets start with:

>1/6 hp motor at 120v uses 7amps at FULL load ) turns a high amperage alternator, one sized for an ambulance or bucket truck (120-140 amp, @ 8,000 rpm).

The motor will stall when you apply a 120+ amp load to the alternator. The power coming out of the alternator is always less that the power going into the motor.

>inverter ($4,000) requires about 14v,75 amp input and will continually produce 120v at 30amps , 240v at 15 amps , and 3800 watts.

Except it will not output 3800 watts. Let me be clear, a good electrical engineer could make an inverter that could output 120 VAC @ 30 amps with only a 14 VDC @ 75 amp input, but it won't output 3,800 watts. The equation for AC power is not P= (V)(A), in it's simplest form it;s P=(V)(A)(power factor). OK, in this instance it will be a lot more complicated, but I'm guessing you don't understand calculus either.

To get that many amps out you have to have a very inductive or capacitive load which gives you a very low power factor. And probably fry a standard inverter.

Here are some thoughts to ponder:

-There are likely a 1,000,000+ people in the world who understand how these devices operate. If one could build such a device for a few thousand dollars, don't you think you could buy one? I suppose the "evil forces" suppressing all of them? World wide? LOL

-There are plenty of paranoid theories about oil companies & governments, but consider this: Japan has to import all of it's oil and most of it's coal. There are plenty of smart scientists & engineers in Japan. The idea that "someone" is keeping them from cranking these out by the millions is ludicrous.

Edit:

>and if you graduated high school and know ANYTHING about how an alternator works, you would know that a properly installed altenator only needs a second or two of external power before it creates own magnetic field and becomes self sustaining.

The internal magnetic fields become self sustaining. This has to do with the internal operation of the alternator, not the input power vs output power.

> ALSO - if properly installed, the alternator will spin FREELY without creating any magnetic resistance as it produces electricity.

Plain silly. Increasing the load on an alternator increases the external mechanical power that has to be applied to the alternator.

>please go here and explain to the company that designs and manufactures these that "its impossible" for them to work

The engineers that design these had to study physics just like I did. Strange how engineers design stuff that actually work based on science principles, and not BS they saw on the Internet.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SACQu3m

Youtube thumbnail

the laws of physics seem to apply everywhere but this guys garage.

Hmm, that's one explanation. I prefer the explanation that the guy drilled a few holes and ran some hidden wires to the nearest wall outlet. Maybe as a prank, maybe to con investors out of money.

There are perhaps 100,000,000 people who know how to do it the way I described. AFAIK there are zero people who know how to do it the way you think it's done.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Look bucko. What you describe is a motor that draws 840 watts. Its output would be probably around 700 watts. If you use that to power an alternator that produces 12 volts, you will only get about 600 watts or 50 amps of output. So far the system is wasting about 25 percent of the electricity. Just leave a big light bulb (a 240 watt conventional) on all the time at your house and you will not have to spend thousands of dollars on the equipment or it's maintenance. You really need to comprehend the law of conservation of energy. P.S. You and Obama are the only two people that I have seen within the last four years publicly declare that the Law of Conservation of Energy does not apply any more.

• It goes against simple rules of physics, there is no free energy, you cannot turn an alternator with an electric motor, both are built on the same principles, it will so always take more electricity to run the motor than what you exact from the alternator, some erl be lot to heat and friction. It is just not possible, I promise you this, please believe me

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Two things: 1. the alternator will wear out 2. It does require extra fuel to run your machine to produce electricity. It is not "free energy," but fuel that is converted into energy. Generally, the electric grid is the cheapest power you will find. Sometimes renewables will give you a cheaper watt, but it takes many years for the system to pay for itself.

• 8 years ago

>the physics thing doesnt seem to apply these days, as more and more people are proving that not to be true<

Boy are you stupid!

I've never seen so much wrong information in one place at one time.

Did you even finish high school?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.