Jin as a korean name?

my name is john and i spell it like 저는 but when i want a korean name and wonder if Jin ( 진 ) is common. im 16 and ive lived in korea for a year now i live in england but ill be going back there soon

Favorite Answer

You would not use that name by itself, you need a middle and last name.

I do not think I have ever met someone with that name.

저는 is not the correct spelling for John. 존 would be the correct spelling.

While single syllable names are not as common, they do exist. The vast majority of people have a 2 syllable name, but it's not restricted to that. There are names with 3+ syllables.

You should just go by 존 if you don't have a given Korean name. I'm assuming you're not a Korean citizen so you wouldn't need a legal Korean name anyway.

Jin is one of the more common single syllable names.

You could be Jin Young, Jong Wook or Jin-Suk and many more if you look around. I don't know the korean equivalent of John but I hope these names could work.

I think 저는 means "as for me", if that's how it's written, when specifically referring to yourself as in "I am korean", so it may not work if you introduce yourself like "저는 저는", but that's just what I heard in a korean Pimsleur audio lesson. Google translate gives "I" for 저는.

저는 is weird .. if you wanna have a Korean name indeed 진 would be a good idea as it is close to your English Name. But people would probably wonder if you have a full name since most names in Korea are made of two syllables. 진욱 or 진something.... you know what I mean right ?

Whatever makes you happy, just Think ~

Yeah, Hyun Jin is a unisex Korean name. Hope that helps (:

While single syllable names are not that common as other people said, still you can use single syllable names. Sometimes it give kinda noble touch on your image like... well, 'Lance' is still very popular name but 'Lancelot' sounds like, you know, that legendary Arthurian knight :) Single syllable could give that kinda touch.

What I am worried about is if you want use JIN alone it might be weird for a boy because it sounds like girl's name. What about JiOn지온, JiWoon지운, JiWon지원 or JuWon주원? They are a bit simliar to your name John and good for boys(esp. JiWoon. JuWon).

Jin is a korean name but you need another one to really make a name eg jin hee. There is an actor by the name of Ji Jin Hee

why do you spell your name that way? kinda weird.

Anyway Jin, would be very uncommon, because a single syllable names are extremely rare in korean culture.