basic legal question?

my son is 14; he got caught by a school security guard hiding in the girls locker room with a camera.He admitted before I could get to him, that he had taken pics and he also admitted he was intending to sell them to another unamed party. The school declined to punish him other than some community service, and no criminal charges were pressed. However, the girl's parent told me she was going to sue for damages in civil court. Am I in trouble here for $$$$$ ?

Favorite Answer

Your son will need to be convicted for the criminal aspect before demands can be made in civil court for his liability of the crime mentioned. So if they want some money, they'll need to press charges & win. I'd suggest that you & your son keep tight lipped about this if approached by an officer, and if there is any evidence i'd get rid of it. But keep in mind that (where I live) 3 credible witnesses is enough to send a man to death row without any forensics. Those witnesses would have to be people who caught him in the act, not the purchasing client for the other criminal offense.

Ugh. You must be losing your mind. I'm sure he will receive due punishment at home. KIDS!!

If these pictures were taken (as in snapped) and then promptly confiscated by the school officials, then I cannot imagine what the civil suit would allege. Emotional distress? For having a boy hide in the girls locker room? No jury would award damages (God I hope, but you never really know).

If some of these pics got out, I suppose you would have a bit more of a problem, but again, the parent and the girl would have to make some pretty profound statements to show injury or damage for me, as a juror, to award any kind of compensation. I mean really...

So, that being said, you never know with people, but the trouble she will have to go through to bring suit, I don't reeeeeally think she is appreciating. If she is talking to lawyers, then hopefully they will set her straight on that. Are you rich or does this parent think you are?

If she does present any kind of settlement offer or push forward with this suit, obviously you will need representation too. Sorry for your troubles!

A horny little 14 year old!! I seriously doubt it'll go anywhere since he was busted prior to the pictures going public. No harm..No Foul other than your son getting a peek. If he was in school...Then how was it your responsibility anyways? The school should have been watching out..Not you. Anyone can file suit for anything so I wont tell you they can't file suit, but for a judge or jury to award any damages is highly unlikely.

• xK

He took pictures, they have custody of the pictures, and he had intentions of selling child pornography. Yes, he can get in trouble. The girl's parents may have damages if she's seeking counseling for her role in your son's secret porn stash.

Diffidently, since he's below the age limit you're his guardian and basically the bank for people willing to sue.

she would have to prove damages in civil court..like she would have to prove that her kid was a victim ( which she can't prove) and she would have to put on price on that 'wrong'.

so basically no lawyer would take that case...but just in case..deny everything..always...and I mean everything..like that this event ever happned..Dont admit anything

ur son is stupid for doing that. but i was the girl i wouldnt sue for that

could be