Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Atheists, do you matter in the grand scheme of the universe?

2:

If everyone completely passes out of existence when they die, what ultimate meaning has life! Even if a man's life is important because of his influence on others or by his effect on the course of history, of what ultimate significance is that if there is no immortality and all other lives, events, and even history itself is ultimately meaningless? And you. Guys may dispute this by saying life matters to me because I enjoy it and etc but im talking big here, going by what you guys say"we are just a spec in the universe" so why the he'll does anything we our or childrens children etc do matter isn't it a waste of time.

Favorite Answer

Oh noes, the entirety of the universe doesn't care about me or know of my existence!

Source(s): EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER

"do you matter in the grand scheme of the universe?" No.

"If everyone completely passes out of existence when they die, what ultimate meaning has life!" To cherish, enjoy, and make better the lives of those who share existence with us while we are here. Just because we may not exist for the entire span of existence does not mean our lives have no meaning. Indeed, our lives have meaning because they are finite. Having a finite life span gives our lives urgency, meaning that each day is precious and should be treated as such, trying to do our best to meet whatever goals we set for ourselves.

A life that goes on forever is meaningless since it implies that our actions have no consequences since you will always live through them and will have an infinite amount of time to make things better. Ironic how your very same points for the lack of "ultimate meaning" for a finite life can, and do, show that an infinite is meaningless.

• ?

No, we don't. And the grand scheme of the universe doesn't matter to us as well.

Here and now matters. You say its all a waste of time...what's it wasting? Once we go we go..why shouldn't we enjoy the time we have? To hell with the universe.

Life matters to ME but in the grand scheme of the universe I amount to nothing. I am happy about that and actually find it strangely comforting.

Inverse square law. All light travels as an inverse square. As such, anything that anyone does has a permanent, if local, effect on reality. Religion or not, this is indisuptable. Your existence changes the path of photons. Thus, you matter as much as anything else. (Not a whole lot, if you're curious.)

Though this can of course be easily extend to any physical quantity with similar results.

No! None of us matter in the grand scheme of the universe. Why do we have to? We either enjoy our time here or we don't. Then we die. There is no great purpose to life. It simply "is".

• Duck

The appearance of the number 2 above your "question" (?) indicates that you are either a fundamentalist, are being told to put this out here from instructions of some sort, or either of those and unable to copy and paste without giving away the fact that you didn't come up with that on your own?

1. We don't matter to the universe. It has existed before us, as it will exist after us.

2. I give my life meaning and purpose.

Probably not.

So?

I matter to me, right here and now. I matter to my family and friends.

That's good enough for me.

I don't care if I don't "matter" in any "grand scheme of things," especially since there's no evidence there is any "grand scheme of things."

Peace.

• Torgo

No, but my friends and family seem to appreciate my existence. Isn't that enough?