Nero
Nero asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 9 years ago

Why do I find vegitarians so infuriatingly annoying? The logic is just, so friggen FLAWED!!!!?

First off, the animal will be killed and eaten no matter what. You don't have to buy it, because someone else will... Therefore YOUR NOT SAVING ANYTHING!!!

Second, its in our nature to eat animals. WE ARE OMNIVORES! If we wern't we wouldn't have canine fangs adrdrdrrr.

Finally, for the finisher... I have said this to about 3 vegitarians before; and they always instantly shut up. One of them even left to go sulk... When you eat a plant your not avoiding anything. Your still eating an intelligent creature; all you have accomplished is favoritism. Eat one creature instead of another; because its not "cute and cuddly". Its actually kind of worse, WE DON"T KNOW how intelligent they are... Its a prooven fact that plants can communicate with each other. Hell, with how long some plants live; you might even be eating creatures SMARTER than we are.

Also, its simply NOT HEALTHIER. Sure, you might become thin; you might become a toothpick. However, in the end, your still prone to all sorts of health problems, do some research. Eating meat helps blood surgur and so on.

Also, most of these animals are eaten in the wild anyways. They live very stressfull lives in which they have to worry about predators at every turn. Most of these animals won't die of old age because by the time they get there they will be too weak to fight back or flee from predators...

LOL you assume intelligence is defined by physical activity (of which plants do plenty of, you just don't see).

In that case, if put a needle in your spine and paralyzed you from the neck down; you wouldn't be able to do any tricks either.

Does that mean your no longer intelligent? Does that mean you no longer have thoughts and feelings? Such an ignorant statement...

they don't have a complex language like humans do, or birds, whales, or other primates. So its more than doing a "trick."

You don't know that, you don't know that at all. In order to communicate you must have a complex language. Not only that, but their somehow able to teach other plants of their own family how to repel a certain insect; completely excluding all the other plants around. Last time I checked figuring out how to make your own natural bug repellent is pretty intelligent.

I love how you state; that I "don't understand" yet never elaborate on whatever arguments I might have missed...

• paul h
    Favorite Answer

I can see some of the arguments for being vegetarian....a lot more food crops would be available to feed hungry people of the world rather than raising large amounts of cattle, sheep, pigs, etc...for food. Some superfood crops like Quinoa can supply more than enough nutrients and protein to compare better than mother's milk...some pro athletes swear by it.

Yet beef, pork or other animal byproducts are an important part of our economy as well worth billions of dollars in trade and use without which life would be much harder and medicines would not be available or harder to produce.....medicines, industrial lubricants, tires, asphalt and much more .. all are made with byproducts of animals that we also get food from.

As to whether plants can feel or are intelligent, just because they communicate or can sense the sunlight and gravitate towards it does not make them intelligent in the way we understand human or animal intelligence.

At the beginning of Creation, God did intend for man and all creatures to be vegetarian...to live in perfect harmony...death did not have to occur to sustain their lives. Some modern carnivores like lions or other cats have indeed been observed to eat vegetarian diets in some cases. But after Adam sinned and brought death into the world, God allowed man and animals to eat other animals....he clothed Adam and Eve in animal skins so he had to kill animals to do so (Genesis 3:21)...Abel kepts flocks of animals and killed some as offerings to God. After the Flood, Noah also killed some of the "clean" animals and sacrificed them to God. In Genesis 9, God stated that animals would fear man for he would have to hunt and eat them to survive in a world with fewer resources and harsher climates. He stated that all animals were available to eat for food.

"Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. "

God allowed animal sacrifices to be performed from the beginning. Jesus himself helped his disciples catch fish and even cooked fish for them.....he was no strict vegetarian but showed that all of God's creation was available for man to use under good stewardship. It's up to us to determine the best and most humane ways to do so. I don't fault people if they choose to be vegetarian but I also think they miss some important effects of using animals to better mankind....and God does allow us to.

Genesis 1

"29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. "

http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/September11/Fin...

"We normally associate beef as being part of a satisfying meal. However, because 99% of the beef animal is utilized, items manufactured from beef by-products are all around us. Yogurt, car tires, and a variety of medicines all contain a beef by-product.

The medical world relies on beef by-products for many life saving or life improving medications and treatments. Our bodies can easily accept a medication or treatment made with beef by-products.

Although some medical products and treatments are made from synthetic ingredients, many are still made more economically from beef cattle.

Automobile tires contain stearic acid, which makes the rubber hold its shape under continuous surface friction. Even the asphalt on our roadways contains a binding agent derived from the fat of beef cattle.

The creation of beef by-products is an important way for the beef industry, reuse and recycle."

http://www.cattle.ca/just-facts-beef-by-products

"Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) provides 10 essential amino acids, is loaded with minerals and has a high protein content – between 14 and 18 percent. The FAO (U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization) says it is so nutritious it can be substituted for mother's milk.

"This food is about the most perfect you can find for human diets," said Duane Johnson, a 61-year-old former Colorado State agronomist who helped introduce it to the United States three decades ago.

Quinoa isn't a cereal. It's a seed that is eaten like a grain, but is gluten-free and more easily digestible than corn, wheat, rye, millet and sorghum. And it can be substituted for rice in just about anything – from soup to salad to pudding to bread.

"I've got high-performance athletes that swear by it," said David Schnorr, president of Quinoa Corp.,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110104/...

Yes, the arguments of many vegetarians is flawed, however I don't think you have the right arguments there. It depends on what definition of intelligence you choose to use. Communication is only one aspect of intelligence. Abstract thought, understanding, reasoning, ect are all different aspects of what intelligence is. So, sure, plants can communicate, but they don't have a complex language like humans do, or birds, whales, or other primates. So its more than doing a "trick."

Eating less meat is healthier than eating more meat, and meat does not have all the nutrients humans need in order to function correctly and fully. These nutrients are all in plants! Therefore, someone can have a completely balanced diet by only eating plant products, not vice versa.

Since this is on the anthropology board I can argue that canine teeth could possibly a remnant, we don't technically need them in order to survive but our ancestors did. In the future this trait could be lost.

And, back to your first point... if a vast majority of people quit eating meat then there would be less animals being raised in order to be butchered, to feed those of us who used to eat meat and no longer do. Less demand= less supply= many animal lives "saved" by not being created in the first place. Animals eating animals is barbaric to vegetarians, right? I dunno.

What I hate is when "vegetarians" still eat fish, or chicken. Like a fish isn't an animal! WTF. Or a chicken. Seriously, have those people never seen a chicken running around, or a fish swimming in a tank?

Although I agree with your topic sentence, the rest is flawed. Especially the "you are still eating an intelligent creature" bit. Whens the last time you taught a plant a trick?

• You are missing a lot of the other side's arguments. You cant call something "illogical" just because you dont understand.

I agree with u bro. Burgers and steak for life Lol