How do you properly give a notice about moving out?

Do I still have to give a 30 day notice to my landlord when he has already assigned us a date for when were suppose to move out by.

My 1 year lease came to an end and I don't want to renew our lease, so I have decided to move out, my landlord said, "well if you do not wish to renew the lease, you have to move out by the end of February." Now I have found a new place to rent and I do not wish to stay until the end of February, so do I still have to give him a 30 day notice or can I just up and leave and say, "Hey, I found a place to rent already; therefore I would not stay until the end of February."

I just want to know which is the right way for approaching this matter?

Favorite Answer

The safest way for you to deal with this is to send him a letter with delivery confirmation stating your intent to move out by Feb 29. Drop one off at his office IN PERSON TODAY and let him know another one will be coming via mail.

Provide the 30 day notice, it's really no skin off of your back, other than postage (you are going to want to send it certified). That is the right way to do it.