Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPlayStation · 9 years ago

Ps3 wont read read its hard drive?

ok so my friend gave me his old ps3 hardrive and so i took mine out, put his in and it said its corrupted and needed to be reinstalled and so i put mine back in and it said the same thing so i went to the recovery menu and i clicked rebuild database and it said hard disk not accessable so did i plug it in wrong? why doesnt it regonise it i was working like 3 minuites ago

Update:

edit: i tried taking it out and putting it back in and it is the exactly same one as before and still nothing. if i plug the harddrives into a pc then can it read them as i could backup everything and just copy it back after?

Update 2:

Edit 2: i got my friends harddrive , plugged it in and install the firmware on it and then i put my hardrive back in, it restored the file system and it works! thanks for your help and i learnt the hard way that ps3 drives are encrypted and stuff, they cant be read from pcs, even with the adapter

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Make sure there are no dust bunnys in the connectors. Make sure the PS3 is powered off before you swap drives. Disconnect and reseat a few times, then power up and see.

And you may have stuck your friend's in again and not realized it?

[EDIT: "if i plug the harddrives into a pc then can it read them as i could backup everything and just copy it back after?"

The hard drives are too small for anything but a laptop, and it won't boot from those drives. There are adapters (~$40USD) that will let them act like external USB hard drives, then you can try stuff.

Please confirm that you powered off the PS3 and unplugged it before doing this "surgery"?

]

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.