Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPlayStation · 9 years ago

Ps3 wont read read its hard drive?

ok so my friend gave me his old ps3 hardrive and so i took mine out, put his in and it said its corrupted and needed to be reinstalled and so i put mine back in and it said the same thing so i went to the recovery menu and i clicked rebuild database and it said hard disk not accessable so did i plug it in wrong? why doesnt it regonise it i was working like 3 minuites ago

edit: i tried taking it out and putting it back in and it is the exactly same one as before and still nothing. if i plug the harddrives into a pc then can it read them as i could backup everything and just copy it back after?

Edit 2: i got my friends harddrive , plugged it in and install the firmware on it and then i put my hardrive back in, it restored the file system and it works! thanks for your help and i learnt the hard way that ps3 drives are encrypted and stuff, they cant be read from pcs, even with the adapter

Favorite Answer

Make sure there are no dust bunnys in the connectors. Make sure the PS3 is powered off before you swap drives. Disconnect and reseat a few times, then power up and see.

And you may have stuck your friend's in again and not realized it?

[EDIT: "if i plug the harddrives into a pc then can it read them as i could backup everything and just copy it back after?"

The hard drives are too small for anything but a laptop, and it won't boot from those drives. There are adapters (~$40USD) that will let them act like external USB hard drives, then you can try stuff.

Please confirm that you powered off the PS3 and unplugged it before doing this "surgery"?

]