Why do people get tattoos of Jesus if the bible forbids it?

In the book of Leviticus chapter 19 verse 28 . . "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord " . . . And don't tell me its out of context, because I have read the whole bible and not just one verse . . also, I have nothing against tattoos, but just the idea of a tattoo of a key figure of a religion that forbids tattoos is odd

Favorite Answer

Because Christians don't obey every instruction in Leviticus. For example:

19:19 - Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

19:27 - Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Much of Leviticus is ancient Jewish tribal ritual and law, that Christian tradition views as over-written by the message of the New Testament.

I think we can guess the motive for Leviticus 19:28. Probably tattooing or scarification were ritual fixtures of pre-Judaic tribes. New religions tend to want to make sure they're the only kid on the block, and naturally don't want adherents following customs reflecting older affiliations and traditions. That's all irrelevant now.

• The main passage that is used by some Christians to forbid tattoos and body piercing is Leviticus 19:28: "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.” Sounds like a clear prohibition, doesn’t it, until you recognize this is part of the Mosaic Law that the believer is not under obligation to follow. Before one uses this passage to forbid tattoos, they should take a look at the previous command: “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard” (Lev 19:27). I haven’t seen many Christians with uncut beards, have you?

The issue of tattoos and body piercing falls under the category of disputable matters mentioned in Romans chapter 14: “Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way” (v 13).

Someone at this point might argue, “Well, I just think that God is absolutely against us putting tattoos on our body, because our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.” Well I understand your position, but remember, according to the Book of Revelation, God will put his name and number on our foreheads. So even He will put a mark on us.

----------------------------------

I had copied that quite some time ago, not sure where it's from.

The Bible is forbidding a lot of things that we do today even if we are religious or not. Tattoos are just an example. Yes, it is odd, but also is the hate against gays, atheists and women who have abortions, etc. even if the Bible says that we have to love everybody and be peaceful.

Also, the people who get tattoos with Jesus&Co probably don't know this because they haven't read the Bible, fact that shouldn't sock you at all. They are just tring to prove something to teirselves and to others...

An atheist.

why is it alright to be a 'bachelor' - yet a 'spinster' is seen as an old women left on the shelf ? Why does it matter what the Bible says ? We aren't allowed to do anything. Religion and Politics have to be kept separate. Same sex marriage is on the cards. It upsets some Muslims - but who cares. Some don't believe in God - so they won't believe in the 'devil' either. Seems Christ should turn up and prove things once and for all.

I suppose you don't eat pork. Don't eat cheeseburgers.

Oh and Leviticus is part of the Torah, which is part of the Old Testament.

Torah (Law)

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

Yes, but it also says that when Jesus comes back again that all who believe will have the mark of Jesus written upon their wrists or foreheads. So I guess they are just getting a head start? Lol

Because they are bell-ends.

• because TRUE Christians would NOT do that.

Source(s): COMMON SENSE!