What is the point of calling Jesus the son of God AND God himself?

Seems like some people don't know how a family works or something.

Favorite Answer

Considering you are a figment of Calvin's imagination, this question doesn't exist.

• In practice I call him and most christians call him "the Lord" and "Jesus".

But his identity is not a simple matter, that could just be grasped like a newspaper headline. So as a nonchristian you might find it confusing as you don't know Him, and haven't spent time reading the Bible, studying, and knowing Him through the Holy Spirit. Not everything in life is simple. One wouldn't simplify quantum mechanics because it was too hard -- concepts cannot be reduced beyond a certain level, and retain their reflection to truthfulness in the mind. The nonbeliever is not going to be able to grasp the concept easily, as it takes time to grasp, but that just comes as a result of spending time knowing God through Christ.

He came in the form of a man -- He was incarnated -- so modelling how a man should relate to God he was called Son of God, and of course being divine He is of God, "the Word", "the radiance of God's being". But He is God incarnating as man (and retaining part of that for our benefit into eternity). So He is God, but has come in the form of a man, and being in human form we can know him in our comprehension, and He related to "God above" as we should, yet of course is God. So both titles make sense and reflect reality.

The word "God" simply means "Divine Nature". As a Son, Jesus simply has the same Nature of His Father just as humans have the same nature (human) as their parents. No one is any more human than the other just as Jesus is no more Divine than His Father and vice verse. They are COEQUAL in Almighty.

We believe (I believe) in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man; was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried; and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures. And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end. And (I believe) in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father (and the Son), who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified, who spoke by the Prophets. And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We confess (I confess) one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for (I look for) the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen."

As RG Ingersoll said: if you believe in the OT you will become a criminal, if you believe in the NT, you will become insane, and I added this: If you believe in the OT and the NT, you will become criminally insane.

Jesus is the only/single Lord to all this universe - the Lord Himself

John 10:30 "I and my Father are one.",

John 17:5 "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.",

John 17:24 "Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.",

John 8:58 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.",

Hebrews 1:1-14 "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they...",

Genesis 1:26-28 "And God said, (Jesus, Son of mine) Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it:...",

Genesis 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.",

Revelation 19:16 "And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.",

Ecclesiastes 5:9 "the king himself is served by the field.",

Mark 10:45 "the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.",

Acts 4:10-12 "by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.....whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.",

1 Timothy 2:5 "there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man(ie the Soul-Being) Christ Jesus;",

John 14:6-31 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me...",

1 Corinthians 8:1-8 "Now as touching things(ie the religious/spiritual things) offered unto(ie which are (a) service/ministry of/to) idols(ie occult/spiritual/religious iniquities), we know that(ie usually the human tendency therein is that maybe) we all have knowledge(ie spiritual knowledge(-s) and abilities). Knowledge puffeth up, but charity(ie Love/Good(-ness)) edifieth(ie humbles). And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God(ie the true Lord God), the same is known of him. As concerning therefore the eating(ie the following/exercising/practicing) of those things(ie of those spiritual/religious things) that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. Howbeit there is not in every man(ie so far there is not in every cleric/believer/worshiper) that knowledge(ie that conscience/understanding): for some(ie some of them hereby) with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it(ie exercise/practice (the/a) faith) as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak(ie becoming weak so) is defiled. But meat(ie the occultism/idolatry/knowledgeable faith) commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat(ie if we exercise/practice it), are we the better; neither, if we eat not(ie if we not exercise/practice it), are we the worse."

don't rock the boat.

• Your question is idiotic

Source(s): Somebody please tell him who the 'F' 'i' is.