Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

i'm planning on bring my mom to the US from Puerto Rico. Can she receive unemployment until she gets a job?

She is currently working and she pays taxes every year.

Thanks to all THOSE respectful people that answered my question.

The PR situation isn't great so in the rest of the world, I understand. I'm just a daughter concerned about her mom and little brother well being. She's barely making money for herself and I want to help her.

And it is just a question.

Favorite Answer

Puerto Rico has their own unemployment structure but they do not have joint pact with the mainland. Your mother would have to get a job and earn unemployment credit.

However, she can still use the unemployment opportunity offices to help her find a job. Several agencies and church groups are structured to help people like your mom, check in the area you live.

• Raelyn

The only Puerto Rican residents who pay federal income taxes are US government employees and residents who earn income outside the island. Most Puerto Ricans pay the equivalent of state and local taxes only yet are eligible for federal assistance programs like food stamps and Medicaid, which are disbursed at the state level. As noted, your mother cannot apply for unemployment if she quits her job to relocate, but she can apply for public assistance after she has met your state's residency requirement. Your family should expect to support her for at least a few months.

Not to be rude but there are tons of Americans that need unemployment and can't get it. You have to expect answers like this. She's currently working and paying taxes, where? If it's not here and she's not fired, why would you think she could get unemployment here? I'm really not trying to be mean, just trying to understand your logic...

• Jan

Of course not. Unless she has been laid off from a job in the US, she isn't eligible for unemployment.

No. Unemployment is based on the job that you lost. Not one you quit or one you never had.

She might be eligible for some other type of welfare benefits. You may want to check with your city or county social services office.

No, you have to work for a certain amount of tme before you apply for unemployment.

No, she needs to loose her job in order to be able to apply and only while looking for another job

I would hope not.

How would one qualify for unemployment here when they never had a job here?

you're bringing your mother from one part of the US to another. if she's eligible for unemployment there, she may be eligible elsewhere, but not if she voluntarily leaves her current job to join you wherever you are.

welfare and all the rest her credit might be good as gold look up on it