Atheists do you agree or disagree with this?

I do believe that one does not need a higher power(belief) to have moral. I know atheist that are the most giving people I have ever met. But, it does not prove there is no God. It just shows that for good action no one needs God...kinda. I believe that what I believe is GOOD and what God thinks is good are different

Favorite Answer

Morality is a subjective evaluation based on the opinions of the person making the evaluation. Things we think of as unspeakable today were commonplace centuries ago. Things we now consider commonplace will be considered unspeakable hundreds of years from now.

It's a relative, subjective opinion. It doesn't need mystical space wizards to have meaning.

Well, it is unlikely that there could ever be valid proof or evidence that God does not exist, however that is not proof that he does exist either. I agree that the ability of atheists to be moral says nothing about the existence of God, but in the absence of evidence, I feel it is more accurate to assume God does not exist, than to assume he does.

There's more than ample evidence to clearly show no belief in any "higher power" is necessary to be a good, moral person. So you don't need to "believe" it, it's a demonstrable fact.

Peace.

"It just shows that for good action no one needs God...kinda"

Yes and no, I think it proves that not everyone needs God, but you are forgetting that some people are incapable of independent thought. Some people are ONLY good because they think they are constantly being watched by the adult version of Santa.

So, you're basically saying that the source of good is not god since atheists can do good too?

Astounding theory, professor. This will revolutionize atheist thought forever! Srsly.

I agree that an atheist being moral doesn't disprove a God.... that's all.

Correct. Our morality comes from ethics and philosophy, not religion. Religion is doing what you are told regardless what is right. Secularism is doing what is right regardless of what you are told.

In short, you can be good without God.

So in other words, God is not good.

Christians should not feel unfairly targeted by atheist writings. If Christianity is the religion most often mentioned, it’s for two reasons.

One, the majority of English-speaking countries with full freedom of speech have a Christian majority. People write about what they know and what is close to them.

Two, to shift the focus, the majority of English-speaking countries with a Christian majority have full freedom of speech. An expression of atheism in many countries with other religious majorities, particularly Muslim, can attract legal prosecution and even attempts on the author’s life. This wrath can even extend into the free countries; look at what happened to Salman Rushdie in England.

Therefore in terms of material, author motivation and personal safety, it’s just easiest to write about Christianity right now. That said, the majority of authors do their best to use Christian aspects as examples of wider issues of religion.

If you’re a Christian, don’t immediately take criticism of Christianity personally. The specific example is not usually the point. Look at what it’s being used to say.

I'm more of an Agnostic, but this sounds dead on.