Katie
Katie asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Should I get help for even thinking this?

So, lately, I've been so disappointed about how I look that I wanted to start exercising more and eating less..now it's kind of been eating nothing and exercising excessively. I'm tired, and have no energy, I know that's because I'm not eating. I'm starting to enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach. Like right now, it's 12:30pm and I haven't eaten yet. The only time I eat is when my mom makes dinner and it's because I don't want her to know. I'm going back to school on Sunday, I'm afraid I will get worse because I've started to enjoy an empty stomach. Although I haven't seen a difference on the scale yet, I assume I will which is why I haven't stopped starving myself. If I do eat, I count calories and watch very closely. I want to get help, I'm 22 so I'd be able to go by myself, but I'd have to ask my mom (parents are the policy holders of my health insurance). Help?

Favorite Answer

Not eating is actually WORSE than eating at all. Funny, huh? Don't do this to your body. I do this, not because I want to (trust me, I can eat like the big guys), but because I'm too busy to get anything into my system.

I don't EVER exercise without eating something before. Did that once, fainted on the treadmill. Not a happy day.

I usually just eat semi-healthy small meals throughout the day. I start with a heavy breakfast to keep me going throughout the day with a sandwich or soup for lunch and something like salmon and brown rice for dinner. Nothing after 7pm unless it's almonds, fruit, or yogurt. I snack on almonds and a protein bar throughout the day to curb hunger and lots of water!

Then I do my regular exercise about 4-5 times a week. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it? So stop starving yourself. It'll just be worse in the end. You'll gain that weight back faster than you lost it. Trust me.

If you really need help with this, see a nutritionist/dietitian as well as a therapist to get rid of these body issues. Loving yourself is a wonderful thing and the first step is to realize how awesome you are.

Good luck!

• stiggy

It's great that you're exercising so much, that's absolutely the best way to lose weight and get fitter. However, by not eating it's countering the positive effects of the exercise. Believe it or not, there's a point where if you don't eat enough you won't lose any weight at all, because your body thinks that it's being starved and so retains all the fat. What you should do is eat in moderation, follow the GDA, because that's a good balance of what your body needs. Good luck, and I hope you become happy with your weight :)

Also, tell your mother about it, she can help you, even if it's just by giving you support. It'll be harder to go through this by yourself, you should let your Mom know what's going on.

Yes, eating disorders are very serious. Instead of eating less, eat healthier. You can count calories but more importantly count what those calories are coming from (fat, carbs, or protein).