Why not a brokered Republican convention? With a drafted nominee?

Romney has shot himself in the foot over Obama Care, Newt is the most politically astute and could get things accomplished but to much ammunition for the Liberal media and the Democrats so the way to get an electable candidate would to draft a Chris Christie or someone who can serve to bring the party together.

Update:

Your question mark provides us proof of your interlect

Update 2:

Not only can it be done BUT probably will. Delegates only have a one vote mandate in MOST states and in the other they are at large so the fact that we have to choose from the 3 or 4 that are out there right now is a false premise

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This has been my prediction all along. The only clear cut winner will the one who has over 50% of all total delegates. In the end, Republicans will wish their system of delegates rivaled that of the democrats and they had superdelegates.

• 9 years ago

The primary and caucus system has pretty much made brokered conventions a thing of the past. We are stuck with the candidates people vote for.

It's called democracy.

I realize that the delegates are only pledged for the first ballot, but it almost never goes farther. I think the last convention that went more than 1 ballot was in 1952 . The last it was even close was the 1968 GOP convention. Nixon was pretty close ot a majority, but he had Rockefeller on the Left and Reagan on the Right. They hoped that between the two of them, they could deny Nixon a first ballot majority. They fell short.

This has become a two man race. It is highly unlikely that one candidate would not have a majority. If Santorum could hold 15 to 20 % of the delegates, that would be different, but he will probably drop out soon.

I think this will be decided well before the convention.

• 9 years ago

I think the GOP's problem is that none of the candidates can get a majority of voters behind them. My own theory is that the Repubs know they can't win this one so they're not sending in their first string. Romney is the only one of them that seems to be seriously running for president--the rest seem all to be just enhancing their name recognition.

Newt Gingrich KNOWS he can't get nominated. He's known that from the start. All he can do is damage Romney and hurt the party's chances even more. Why would a loyal Republican do that?

A brokered convention would hurt the GOP even more, making it even more obvious that the candidate is chosen by party leaders, not primary voters. NO candidate can bring the party together because the party is split between Tea Party hardliners and the more moderate 'adult supervision'. That's Romney's problem, and any other candidate would have the same problem. But Romney also alienates the Christian Right, the reason Rick Santorum is even in still in the race.

Party conventions used to be filled with tension and suspense. TV networks (i.e. the 'liberal media') used to cover them gavel-to-gavel. These days the candidate is chosen long before the convention, so the convention is really no more than a multi-day infomercial for the party and its agenda. And networks only show 'highlights' on the nightly news. A brokered convention would be interesting, it would certainly capture the liberalmedia's attention. But it would damage the GOP even more than they have damaged themselves in the last few years.

• Jason
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Republicans should pick Newt, not another McCain like Romney.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • PoBoy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Sure, let's go back to the smoke filled back room. Man, the GOP is lost without a map.

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Because the system does not work that way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.