Ancient Romans & the year 2012...help!?

I've heard/read that ancient romans believed the year 2012 would be very significant, yet I can find NOTHING...no proof of this. Its all over the internet BUT its what 'one guy thinks'...can ANYONE out there help me find if its true...did the ancient Romans actually have some writings about the year 2012?

Thanks again

Favorite Answer

The only thing I can think about that has any possible chance from any Roman Catholic prophecy is the Prophesies of St. Malachy (not the Biblical Malachi). If Pope Benedict XVI kicks the bucket, according to the prophecy, the next pope could be "Peterus Romanus", the last pope. Though St. Malachy apparently did not describe any dates for any of his prophesies. He prophesied in 1139 AD.

The 2012 thing occurs in the Mayan codices they call, "The Dresden Codices" which are so named because that's where they ended up, after coming out of the Mayan capital currently located in Mexico. Those who have studied the Dresden Codices, and along with a "steela" found which is still around that site in Mexico, came up with a translation naming December 21, 2012 (translating their calendar with our current one), as the end of the Mayan Long Count Calendar. As far as I know, there is no other place this date can be specifically attributed to.

• anna

The Romans didn't worry about it at all. There's nothing in it anyway. Whenever a date gets announced for "the end of the world" you can be sure that's the one day it won't end.

• Kate

As far as I know or have ever heard, it was just the Mayans.

• Suzy

Not to my understanding of it. The Mayans on the other hand, they started all this junk.

• cosmo

LOL. The Romans did not use our calendar.