Would you use your favourite names for characters even if you wanted to use them for your children?

Do you find it strange? Or is it okay because they're completely different people?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I've used my girlfriend's name for one of my least fortunate characters. (She loved the story, so it was alright. XD) Plenty of people have the same name, and there's nothing wrong with using a name you might give to your children.

I would. I don't think it's strange at all - although I've never done it, I have named characters after people I know just because the names have a certain good feeling to them. Your case is even better, it's not as though you're naming characters after those who already exist and exude their own persona. The names aren't attached to anyone yet.

Nope- because I would find it weird because they are completely different people. I think I'd end up writing them towards my children's personality, which could well detract from the story. I also think it would be embarrassing- can you imagine if JK Rowling named Hermione not Hermione but after her daughter? Can you imagine being her? Or can you imagine thinking you might be nothing but a story character to your mother maybe? I'm sure poor Christopher Robin was an example to all authors- he was meant to be bullied all his life because of his parent's book.

No, because when I write stories, I'm usually looking for names that have character, not necessarily names that I like. My character now, for instance, is called Gertrude Bartlett. I despise the name Gertrude, but it happens to work with this person's character. I have another character called Marinus Fife, which has a nice ring to it, but I wouldn't wish that name on anybody either. My child is going to have a pretty but reasonably common name like Emily.

I tend to name my characters names that I do like so yes I would probably use some of my favorite names on both my characters and my children.

Well I would. If I was writing a book and I called the character Juno because I loved that name i'd still call my child Juno. It's not strange at all..... :P

Christopher Robin Milne never forgave his father for using him in the Winnie the Pooh stories. Personally, I would love to have been A.A.'s choice for Pooh's pal. Sometimes? You just can't win. lol