Brittany asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

A few questions about a bunny?

So I'm considering getting a bunny next week. Black lionhead male.

And I have a few basic questions. Other than that, I'm researching.

1. Would it be better to give him fresh fruits and vegetables, or rabbit pellets? Or both?

2. What would be the best bedding?

3. Can they drink from a water dish or is it better if you use a bottle?

4. Just out of curiosity, how long is the life span of lionheads?

Favorite Answer

The most important part of a bunny's diet is unlimited hay (alfalfa or timothy, depending on age of bunny) Pellets should be limited based upon age and weight. Fresh veggies should be given daily (to adult rabbit).

I've never used bedding. It's unnecessary as my bunnies were litter trained. Here is a sample cage of one of my bunnies. http://i44.tinypic.com/33biicj.jpg

Bottle or water dish is your preference. If you use a bottle, you just need to be sure it doesn't get clogged. If you use a dish, it needs to be attached to the cage so it won't spill. I mostly used bottles, but one of my bunnies preferred the bowl and drank way more from the bowl. (I think he was frustrated with how slow the water came out of a bottle.

Indoor bunnies can live twice as long as outdoor-kept ones.

For general bunny care, I suggest a look at myhouserabbit.com.

For details on age-specific and weight-specific pellet quantities, check rabbit.org. This site is a bit overwhelming, but is good for researching something specific.

I'd also like to add that I've had the best experience getting my rabbits through a rabbit rescue group.

Allow me to explain.

Many people think it's best to get real young rabbits but it just isn't true. When bunnies reach adolescence they turn into a behavioral nightmare and can even get aggressive. They even may un-learn their potty training. You'll just be setting yourself up for frustration getting a baby. (This is precisely why rabbit rescues get so many of their rabbits -- owners get completely frustrated and sick of their formerly sweet, now tyrannical rabbit)

I'd suggest you consider getting your bunny from a rabbit rescue. They are usually at least a year old, so their personalities are established and they are settled. This is the best time time to find one that fits your personality and one that likes you too.

Rescued rabbits are also (usually) litter trained AND neutered. (Costly neutering is another expense that people don't want to have to deal with when their former baby bunny reaches adolescence.) The personality of the rabbit that you see is just what you'll get (while baby ones will completely change).

Some other pros for getting rescued rabbits:

Rescued rabbits are vet-checked, so you'll know their *real* condition.

The rescuers know their rabbits and can tell you the distinctiveness of each one.

They have unique mixed-breed rabbits that can be adorable.

You can hold and see and "get to know" the choices at a rabbit rescue and they don't mind you taking your time to find the right one. (All rabbits have distinctly different personalities.) And they are very knowledgable and willing to answer care questions even long after you've brought your new bunny home.

Especially explore your caging options. NIC or c&c cages are popular for being inexpensive to make and nice and roomy.

1. pellets and fruit and veg daily. i recommend not giving your rabbit a mixed cereal type food as he will become a selective eater and then your in hell! dont give him lettuce but carrots and other fruit and veg are fine (lettuce contains too much water for them) you can/should give him a small handful everyday xxx

2. i use newspaper to layer the bottom, then sawdust then shredded paper (if i have any), then straw for bedding or hay for more foodish bedding

3. i use a bottle but i tried a dish once and they kept sneezing so i wouldnt recommend it

4. sorry i dont know i have netherland dwarfs

sorry i couldnt be of more help xx

Source(s): i have two netherland dwafts

Iceburg lettuce is a nono.. yet romaine lettuce & different darkish eco-friendly or curly lettuce isn't. they might consume banana, spinach, carrots, parsley, sprouts, surprisingly lots something yet no longer lots cabbage or brocolli (no longer too good for them) If this is youthful nevertheless do no longer provide lots veg in any respect on the initiating or it will get an upset abdomen. i might get him some toys, wood chews or something. & keep in mind they want hay continuously to maintain their tooth worn down. No they do no longer want vaccinations & i'm uncertain of the colour sorry sure this is high-quality for them to consume exterior grass aslong as you do no longer use any insecticides or something risky on it. attempt get a rabbit run (like a twine cage that has no backside) which works on the grass exterior. Our run is 9 foot x 4 foot and that they pass exterior on each and every occasion this is okay climate.

• 1. Both, search about diet. Timothy hay is very important.

2. NOT straw, newspaper if they do not chew on it.

3. I use a bottle

4. Indoor? 8-12

Source(s): Veterinary Technician at an AHAA accredited hospital, featured on Reddit and Icanhascheezburger for The Faceless Kitten