filing taxes and being seperated?

My husband and i split up about six months ago but have not filed for divorce as of yet. When filing my taxes it seems like i only qualify for the EIC if we file jointly is that correct?

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, i had that same problem last year.. It sucks.

  • rtfm
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You're posting in the Australia tax area.

    In the US, you can only claim the EIC if your filing status is single, HOH, or MFJ.

    If you are supporting a child, and if you and your husband did not live together AT ALL for the entire last six months of 2011, you can file as HOH and claim the EIC.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.