What are the pros of having a popular voting system to elect the president?

AND why should we abolish the electoral college?

• Desire
    Favorite Answer

Invoking a popular vote would be great with me since I am a Republican in California and my vote in the Presidential General Election never counts.

Pros: Democracy

Cons: Most people who defend the Electoral College use a kind of Affirmative Action argument, I.E., because there are less people on my state, we deserve more votes.

There is NOTHING in the electoral college that prevents voter stupidity. Mostly the Electors just vote the way they're assigned and don't overrule their voters.

There is no need to abolish the Electoral College, because states can allocate their electoral votes any way they want.

The National Popular Vote movement has a solution. States representing 132 Electoral Votes have passed it. If states representing more then 50% of the Electoral College vote pass it, a "trigger effect" will come into play, and those states will automatically give all of their electoral college votes to the winner of the poular vote.

The Pros of taking on the popular voting system is we the people would be electing the man/woman we want in office. Other than that there really is no other pro. We have the electoral college because people are not educated enough to decide. It is highly unlikely it will be abolished.

• The popular vote would allow the 30 to 50% of the voting public that is totally clueless and gets their political information from The Comedy channel to have a larger input which would be disastrous. Case in point the inter-net basically elected Obama......DUH

• meg

A popular voting system or the system we have?? Our president is not elected by popular vote.

Source(s): www.dumbellnebula.com/voting.htm

the biggest liar would be elected? oh, wait ... we already have that.

forget it ... there's no way the small states would give up their ability to balance off against the interests of the big ones.

Source(s): grampa