Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Why do people believe that being an undesignated airman in the Navy is a bad?

Reasons why i chose Navy airman

-I needed the earliest ship date because im running out of money.

- I had no interest in the other two jobs available. I didn't want to be tied down to a job I didn't like for 4 years and i figured being an airman would let me explore in other jobs.

- I think its nice to not have to go directly to A-school after boot camp

- I've never had a hands-on job before with fire prevention or mechanics, so I don't mind just cleaning the ship until im ready to have that responsibility.

- I would put people in danger if I wasnt cautious enough with working on aircraft, so i think i made a responsible decision to wait until I'm ready to take that job.

• Tryg
    Favorite Answer

I agree with you that you have made a good decision, and I'd be glad to have you work for me. You have a good attitude and may end up as a much better sailor after having had the opportunity to see what all the rates do and actually selecting the one that is the best fit for you. Try to get assigned to the line division since these are the folks who handle and direct the aircraft, which as an airman is a much better place to be rather than compartment cleaning or mess cooking. The downside is that you probably will be sent into one of those roles for at least three months of a deployment regardless of where you work in the squadron. Given what you've said here though, I think you'll come through it all just fine. Just work hard wherever you go, and good luck!

Source(s): Retired Naval Aviator and former Helicopter Detachment Officer In Charge (3 cruises) and Line Division Officer.
  • TomB

As long as you are happy with it, there is nothing wrong with it. You are going to be the one living it, what other people "believe" has no bearing. However, undesignated means bottom of the food chain, as long as you realize that going into it (and it sounds like you do) go have fun, travel and most of all listen, pay attention and learn...It is going to be what YOU make of it.

Source(s): Retired AE

I've never even heard of that title but just looked it up! It seems it has something to do with rating...an undesignated airman is not a rated job and therefore not worthwhile?