What do you think of this quote?

"Jefferson summed up the noninterventionist foreign policy position perfectly in his 1801 inaugural address: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations – entangling alliances with none." How many times have we all heard these wise words without taking them to heart? How many champion Jefferson and the Constitution, but conveniently ignore both when it comes to American foreign policy? Washington similarly urged that the US must "Act for ourselves and not for others," by forming an "American character wholly free of foreign attachments." Since so many on Capitol Hill apparently now believe Washington was wrong, they should at least have the intellectual honesty to admit it next time his name is being celebrated.

In fact, when I mentioned Washington the other guest on the show quickly repeated the tired cliche that "We don't live in George Washington's times." Yet if we accept this argument, what other principles from that era should we discard? Should we give up the First amendment because times have changed? How about the rest of the Bill of Rights? It's hypocritical and childish to dismiss certain founding principles simply because a convenient rationale is needed to justify foolish policies today. The principles enshrined in the Constitution do not change. If anything, today's more complex world cries out for the moral clarity provided by a noninterventionist foreign policy."

-Ron Paul

Favorite Answer

I think its a great quote.

Most people who respond take it at base level and the message doesnt go through all the way.

Soon enough, they will be forc-fed freedom and they will realize what they have been missing

In the late 18th century, having two oceans as boundaries was a significant roadblock to any invasion force.

But they are no longer barriers to attack. Modern weapons allow attacks to originate on the other side of the world.

The belief that what occurs outside our boder is of no interest to us is not only untrue, but dangerously so.

Our interest in the Middle East is entirely self-interest. Should any nation there gain hegemony and control the flow of oil, our economy, and the economies of the rest of the industrical world, will collapse. That's why our nation has considered the Middle East as an area of our national interest for 50+ years.

As for non-interventionism, the 1930s and 40s demonstrated just what happens when good and strong countries sit on the sidelines.

In today's world, a policy of US withdrawl leaves many countries in peril. South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Iraq, Israel, Georgia, Colombia, etc will all be subject to threats or outright attack.

It will make for an ugly and dangerous world, where the weak are prey to the strong.

And it will not prevent that ugliness from coming to our shores, anyway.

One thing for you to think about - how do you account for Jefferson's War against the Barbary Pirates?

• roze

I uncover Steven Wright fees humorous. Here are a couple of of them I discovered on-line. “Last 12 months I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He used to be making use of a dotted line. He stuck each and every different fish.” “All people who suppose in psychokinesis lift my hand.” “OK, so what is the velocity of darkish?” “How do you inform while you are out of invisible ink?” “Support micro organism - they are the one tradition a few humans have.” “My condo used to be robbed and the whole thing used to be changed with certain replicas...I advised my roommate and he mentioned 'Do I understand you?'” “Yesterday I advised a bird to move the avenue. It mentioned, "What for?"” “I Xeroxed my watch. Now I have time to spare.” “I positioned instantaneous espresso in a microwave oven and practically went again in time.” “I wrote a tune, however I are not able to learn tune so I have no idea what it it. Every as soon as in a whilst I'll be paying attention to the radio and I say, ‘I believe I would have written that’.” “I set up a skylight in my condo...The humans who are living above me are livid!” “My apartment is at the median strip of a freeway. You do not fairly become aware of, besides I ought to depart the driveway doing 60 MPH.” “I purchased a self finding out list to be trained Spanish. I became it on and went to sleep; the list acquired caught. The subsequent day I might best stutter in Spanish.” “I spilled spot remover on my puppy. He's long gone now.”

this is way to long to be a quote