Are college teachers benefiting monetarily from the college book scam by altering the new books each semester?

Both my boyfriend's daughter and my niece, one in a NY college, the other in a CT college have stated that they are forced to buy new books, no used ones because the teachers are modifying the books somehow every semester, forcing the brand new books to be purchased at extremely high prices from only one source, the monopoly. Does anyone know if the teachers getting a cut in this scam?

I've found a similar question on Yahoo that does point out something to what I'm describing IS happening. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200709... Thanks.

• Aya

I love a good college conspiracy theory.

As the other answerer stated, it's not the professors who modify the textbooks. Some teachers use their own textbooks in classes, but colleges usually have rules controlling that so -- get this -- the professors don't profit too much from it. For example, unless the professor's textbook is the only one out there on the topic, they might be banned from using their own textbook in those huge lecture classes with hundreds of students. If professors are demanding that students use the most recent edition of a textbook, it's because they want the students to have the most up-to-date information available.

And as for that other question, I have never seen or heard of this happening and would need some actual proof of it happening before passing judgment.

• overby

once you're taking gen ed education your books ought to correctly be everywhere from $30-ninety each and each. English majors have a tendency to purchase quite some literary novels and books, even with the indisputable fact that the reliable information is novels value plenty decrease than texts. So after gen ed you ought to be spending everywhere from $10 - 30 on each and each e book. It relies upon on your college and educate too. some instructors attempt to assign the more lower priced of the books and some dont care