Am i required to get a data plan if i buy a smart phone from somebody on craigslist?

Hi i wanted to get the AT&T LG Phoenix, it is a smartphone but i do not have a data package included in my plan and i dont want it. the phone has wifi though. so i was wondering if at&t would know i got a different phone and make me get the data package.? and would i be able to use the wifi without the data package.? i have wifi at my house.

I basically want my phone to text and make phone calls and be able to use the wifi to surf the internet, i dont care about apps or other stuff like that.

Favorite Answer

yes I had the same problem. My boyfriend had bought me a Iphone 3gs, Atnt doesn't register for the first 3 month if your using Wifi, but then aftert that it shows that it is a iphone and will charge you atleast a 1GB data plan for $15.00 a month. I had turned off my data and had never used and called ATNT and they wouldn't let me get rid of the iphone data plan and that i must atleast pay $15.

With a smartphone it is a mandatory for a data plan.

Look into the HTC Freestyle, it look and does the same thing as a smart phone, but its not and doesnt require a data plan.

Source(s): Past experience and 3 hours with a ATNT salesperson
  • overby

i imagine that is thoroughly stupid, too. I have an iPhone and that i must pay an added $30/month for the suggestion plan. that is purely because you're utilising so a lot extra on those sensible telephones than you do in a generic telephone and the phone businesses will use any excuse to tear people off. you know how some businesses cost 15 cents in line with textual content? did you know how a lot it expenditures the phone company to deliver a textual content? a million/3 of a cent! a third OF A CENT! they're making over 4000% take advantage of that! that is rediculous.

Yes AT&T would know which phone you are using and they'll automatically switch you to a data plan whether you want to or not. Whether you believe it or not, the do know what phone is being used because every phone has a unique code ti it. Forget the craigslist phone and just get one that is brand new or at least buy one from some place more reliable. Hope it helps.

Source(s): Experience...

all the major wireless companies:

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc

do regular audits of the phones on their network

if they see you have a smartphone without a data plan, they will contact you and inform you that its required. if you refuse, they will cancel your account.

I'm not sure, but I believe you cant