6 weeks pregnant, no heartbeat?

My wife was 5 weeks 5 days this last Tuesday, her hcg levels were 14000, up from 550 a week before. The Dr. Could not see a heartbeat during the ultrasound. More blood work yesterday and in 48 hrs her hcg went to 26000. The DR has us scheduled for another u/s Monday at which time she will be 6 weeks and 3 days. The dr says if he can't see a heartbeat with her hcg levels that high we will need to discuss abortion options. It feels very early for him to say this. He is the expert but I feel like unless waiting will harm my wife we should give it another week even if there is no heartbeat Monday. Any advice? Thanks.

Thank you all for your responses. They have really helped me. My wife did have a transvaginal ultrasound. We were surprised when the DR entered the room because he said based on her hcg levels of 14000 we should be able to see a heartbeat. Even though my wife, as I said, was only approx 5 weeks and 5 days at the time. The Dr. could not see a heartbeat and immediately began talking about "other options". I felt this was way too soon. We have another appt monday and even if no heartbeat is seen, we think we are going to give it at least one more week before even entering into any discussion about abortion or whatever else. If we are fortunate enough to see a heart beat monday, this DR is definitely out the door, he is very negative and although I appreciate him preparing us for what could be, he did not offer any hope by using sayings such as "hope for the best but prepare for the worst" and referring to Monday's ultrasound as "the final say" in

Favorite Answer

Shame on your doctor!

The heart begins beating in the 5th week of pregnancy. Your wife was still in her 5th week - baby maybe doesn't even have a heartbeat yet. Not to mention that the dates could be a couple days off, which makes a HUGE difference this early in pregnancy.

It is still early and he should not be scaring you like that! This is all very, very normal and he should be congratulating you, not bringing up "abortion" options when there is absolutely no medical reason to indicate this pregnancy is non-viable. What a horrible thing to do to a couple excited about being pregnant!

Most doctors don't do such early ultrasounds because there is not likely to be a heartbeat seen before 6 weeks (again, 2 days makes a HUGE difference at this point). Even at 6w3d it could be too early, or he might see a "slow" heartbeat.....but that's because ITS EARLY not because of a problem. Definitely wait at least another week before making any decisions.

And I would switch doctors if possible - it doesn't sound like you're going to have good visits with him if he's so negative right out of the gate.

Hang in there. I'm sure all is just fine!

Congratulations!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

6 weeks pregnant, no heartbeat?

My wife was 5 weeks 5 days this last Tuesday, her hcg levels were 14000, up from 550 a week before. The Dr. Could not see a heartbeat during the ultrasound. More blood work yesterday and in 48 hrs her hcg went to 26000. The DR has us scheduled for another u/s Monday at which time she will be 6...

Source(s): 6 weeks pregnant heartbeat: https://shortly.im/W3HCN

They could not see the heartbeat on my scan until 6 weeks 6 days - when I had a scan at 5 and a half weeks they could only see the gestation sac/yolk.

I'm not a doctor but if her hcg levels are increasing like that, and as long as ectopic pregnancy has been ruled out then she should be fine. It's normal to not see heartbeat on such an early scan.

Good luck to you both x

• Amora

The fetus could be in a strange position that may be difficult to read, or your wife could be a little over weight, also making it difficult to read. But, when it comes to babies, you really need to go with your gut. I CANNOT tell you how much bad advice I got fro DR's while I was pregnant, and I had to just go with my instincts, and I'm so glad I did. I had a 10.8 pound healthy baby boy! It will not harm your wife to wait a few more weeks. And you should NEVER allow anyone to tell you into an abortion!!

If the doctor thinks abortion is the best way to go, I would listen to him. Because if there are problems this early in the pregnancy then you do not want any worse problems later on. When I was 6 weeks you could see my baby's heartbeat.

The Dr. might think that she's having a tubal pregnancy, which is dangerous for the mother. I know they don't do abortions before 6 weeks because they cant see the fetus via ultrasound.. So hopefully on your next appointment she'll be far enough along to see/hear the fetus. Maybe the date is a little off.

It is very early and usually not unusual to have difficulty finding a heartbeat. Did the doctor do a transvaginal ultrasound? Did he insert a "stick" inside the vagina to do the ultrasound? That type would be a lot more accurate...

Waiting will not harm your wife, if she is miscarrying it can happen naturally or she will need a D&C not abortion but they are similar because a D&C is sucking out the dead fetus, not a live one. Just wait until you have the u/s and even get a 2nd opinion after that because he could be wrong.

she could me having a misscarage