What should I do for my dog?

I have a purebred toy (or teacup if you prefer) chihuahua who turned 8 oct 2011.

I'm going to school this fall and moving into my own apartment, I'm taking her with me because if I leave her with my family they will give her up or ignore her because they don't want her. She's a fairly calm dog she doesn't shake that much and she never yaps she only barks if she hears someone enter the room but the lights are off and she can't see who it is (or if the fedex man bangs really hard on the door :/ ) She's actually more like a cat all she does is sleep and slink around lol she only has short bursts of affection when I get home from work.

I'm worried that she'll get lonely in the apartment while I'm in school, because she's used to living with 8-10 people and soon it will be just 1.

I'm thinking about getting her a companion, I know chihuahuas go well with other chihuahuas so perhaps another chihuahua or a chihuahua-pomeranian mix.

I'm mainly thinking about not wanting to leave her alone plus she's getting older and could possibly go at any time in the next few years :/ I think having someone with her will make her happy maybe?

What do you think? Should I get her a dog, or another chihuahua?

I'm definitely not getting a puppy because she'll probably be too aggravated with it i'm not sure, and I read when you get another dog it should be of the opposite sex?

Any input would be great thanks :)

@Alison, at first she was scared or aggressive of most dogs but then I realized it was because I was walking her or she was on my lap. if I got up and walked away she was fine and interacted great so I know I would have to let them get to know each other without me interfering

@Rorydee yeah i know, she fell into a big depression when we moved into the house i'm living in now over a year ago but she's fine now I would probably have to move before school and inbetween work days so she can be w/ me 24/7 for a little bit.

@MirandaA she's 8 years old i'm not going to crate train her she doesn't need it.

@Sara.....please shut up you sound like a blubbering fool. yes she's a dog you dimwit. They're not little toys that you carry in a purse they have an attitude and a personality. Chihuahuas were first recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1904 and is the smallest breed of dog worldwide.

and there's nothing WRONG with my dog whether she's a purebred or not it was just detail

Favorite Answer

I think if you decide to get another dog, then you should wait until she's adapted to her new home. Too much change could throw her behavior off.

In the meantime, keep the TV or radio on while you're gone and give her things that smell like you to snuggle with.

• Alison

I would see how she does with another dog first.

Sometimes older dogs its to much stimulation to have a second dog and stressed them out. They either get aggressive, or with drawn.

You can always leave a tv on for her. Or take her to a doggy day camp a few times a week.

Source(s): dog groomer
  • Sarah

get her a dog??!?! she's not even a dog herself... there's no such thing as a toy/teacup chihuahua. It might be a mouse? have you looked into that?

ADD: Umm no you are the fool. The chihuahua club of america specifically states that there is no such thing as a toy or teacup. The term "teacup chihuahua" is in fact a common misconception. There is no such thing as a teacup chihuahua (an exceptionally small chihuahua between 2-4 pounds). Teacup chihuahuas are in fact more prone to health issues than standard chihuahuas and can be injured very easily.

Learn to read and spell people's names right.

Crate coaching, concentration and toys. Obedience coaching is a have to from early on. I've had 6 Pits in my lifestyles, and they have got been the exceptional dogs i have ever owned, in spite of all the negative hype. They aren't vicious, they don't assault unprovoked, and they are extra affectionate than alot of people i do know. (No clever remarks please.) like several pups, you must educate him matters. I presently have two pits, and thay knowledgeable well and learned quick. That's not to say they failed to chew up stuff. All puppies do this. Make beautiful excellent security process too, because each and every one weighs 70 kilos. Wanna ruin into my condominium, go for it.

She'll be fine, just crate train her(if needed) and leave the tv or radio on. To be honest, she'll probably just sleep all day, especially if shes older :P

purebred or not you have an overbred byb.mill dog if they told you toy or teacup, only one size.

no, older dogs don'[t want a new dog in their house. will be upset over move anyway.

if you give her attention and love that will make her happy not another dog.

If you pay attention to the dog it won't suffer. No you do not need another.

So you're looking for us to say " Yeah, you need another dog" well I won't. take your thumbs down and ***** it!

EH?