If you offer a reward for something do you legally have to give it?

I lost my iPhone and texted it asking for it back and at first didn't offer a reward but then when i didn't get a reply i changed it to offer a reward; as i thought no one would bother replying if i didn't. Then someone called me but i refused to give the reward and he is now taking me to court. So I was just wondering if i should even bother going to court and just give him the money. I thought as the phone is rightfully mine i legally shouldn't have to give a reward.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

@Badge203 sorry i didn't make it clear but basically i now have the phone as i got the police involved and they forced him to give it back. However he phoned me and said he is taking me to court as apparently if you offer a reward you legally have to give it. And also i just texted the phone asking for a reward, i didn't advertise or anything.

Few things you have to consider because I guess you are not intelligent enough to figure it out on your own

#1) He still has your phone doesn't he? So what good is it doing you in his possession

#2) You stated I am guessing in some sort of ad that you would be offering a reward for its return? That is a contract

#3) The phone is yours but YOU asked for help to get it back. As it is now it is your phone but you don't have it.

#4) What is it going to cost you to buy another one

Pay him and get the phone back because he just may win in a small claims court

• ?

Yeah u should give the reward to him otherwise u will go to court

Your offer of a reward is a contract.

If he goes to court, I am betting he/she will win.

How much did you say was the reward?

If you did not say how much, give him 1 dollar...

I'd just smash the phone and be done with it if I was him.

Or, get him to court and charge him with possession of a stolen item.

or just pay him and be done with it.

• Just give him the money

No dude... let him take you to court. What can he prove?