American visa? Please help, which one!?

Me and my boyfriend want to move to america when we've finished our a-levels, so that would be next july. We have family over there we could stay with, but what visa would we have to apply for?

Thanks x x


Ok so we both want to find jobs (how difficult would that be?) and we'd have saved up a lot of money by then too. I'll have business a-levels so id hope to open my own business. At first we'd like to see the country, or at least around about where we would be staying, but after that both get jobs and settle down:) hope that helps x sorry for being vague! X

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's not possible, you can't get a job without a visa or greencard and there is no current way to apply for either.

    Direct family can sponsor you but th need to be siblings or parents, the current wait time from the UK is 11 years.

    A company can't sponsor you unless you can do a job an American can't do.

    You need 500k for a business based visa.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    You would need a greencard if you permanently want to live in the US.

    Even if you had a sibling living in the US it would take 10 years until you would get a greencard based on this. Anybody less related to you than parents or siblings isn't going to help you.

    Since A-levels isn't going to get you a work visa you can only visit as a tourist. If you go on a visa waiver you can stay for up to 90 days.

    Make another plan, since you have no chance to get a greencard by next July. You have the entire EU to move to if you need a chance of air. This would also give you the opportunity to either learn or practice another language and give you therefore added qualifications.

    edit: An A-level means you successfully graduated from Highschool. You have no recognized degree in the US. The only work visa you can get is for somebody unskilled. Your employer can only get you a work visa if they can show that they can't get a citizen for the job. This might happen for short term jobs in agriculture or tourism, but that's it. I guess you can try camp counseler and get a J1 visa for a few months. Without at very least a bachelors degree you don't have a realistic chance for a longer term work visa. Unless you both dump each other and get married to US citizens. An US citizen can sponsor their spouse for a greencard. That would be your only option to get a greencard.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Nice dream wont happen try when you have a Masters or a PhD

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Well that depends on what you intend to do in the US and what basis you plan to immigrate. Unless the family in the US is either parents or children, they won't be much help getting a visa. Also on what job skills you have that we can't fill with our current workforce, or if you have money to open a business. Or what country you are from....... You don't mention any of your circumstances so i can't really help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.