How has the act of pilgrimage altered the Western Wall's cultural landscape and environment?

This is for an AP Human Geography class. The question is "Choose a pilgrimage site, such as Mecca, Vatican City, or the Western Wall, and describe how the act of pilgrimage (in some cases by millions) alters this place's cultural landscape and environment."

I chose to pick the Western Wall but I'm having trouble on good examples. If you could help me out that would be great, thanks!

• lwhhow
    Favorite Answer

When the Israeli's first gained permanent access to it (1967) for pilgrimage it had long been covered over by the opposing Muslims while they had it (with housing, old buildings, scraps, fences etc.). The Israeli's cleared all this away and cleaned up the area making a broad open plaza next to it to accommodate all the worshipers/ people who come each day. The cultural aspect was changed from almost all Muslim, unimportant and a little Jewish, to all Jewish/ historical and very important. Facilities for large crowds (security, viewing spots, water etc.) had to be installed around and near it.

Try googling 'western wall history', 'Robinson's arch', 'wilsons arch' to see it's history/ and changes since 1967.

Western Wall Pilgrimage