Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 years ago

Airplane FEAR HELP!!!?

I'm DEATHLY afraid of them everytime i fly i freak out. Could you help me understand a little better so I know the plane won't crash and burn.

My friend told me a plane can fly itsself. Is that true? does the cockpit's computer allow it to fly on its own and the pilots just sort of accompany the plane? I don't know much about planes except what i hear after a crash. I would love to travel the world however I'm afraid. One bit of tubulance and I'm shaking all over.

When should you be worried on a plane. I get nervous when there is too much turbulance or when it feels like the plane is dropping. I do like landing I even watch out of the window. Take off however is the scariest thing. Could you help me a bit I'm hoping to overcome my fear.

Thanks,

Favorite Answer

An Airplane which you are talking about has at least two engines, if you took away power from one of those engines the airplane could maintain level flight on just one. An airplanes engines are not interconnected meaning if one goes out there no chance of the other going out for the same related issue. If the airplane lost an engine during climb out from takeoff he could either attempt to restart the engine or if too risky balance on the one engine left, slowly climb to a safe altitude and then come back in for a landing. If the airplane has four engines, and one goes out, you wouldn't even be notified it's that minor.

Yes an airplane can fly itself from takeoff TOGA/Takeoff Go Around to landing ILS. The pilot only has to switch some buttons to make it happen. They would hit the TOGA button and the airplane would takeoff by itself, then the would type in the coordinates and flight path the airplane would follow all on its own, then when it came time to land the pilot would line up with the runway and then type a frequency into the computer based on the runway and listen for numerical Morse code, if it matches the runway he lines up the localizer (left right) and waits for the glide slope to center (up down) and then hits the Autopilot Procedure button and then the airplane lands itself as in zero visibility conditions aka IFR or instrument flight rules.

Source(s): Category III ILS landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtgtuWlSZc Visible ILS landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6nh4cUyESA One Engine Flying (Propeller but jets have MORE power): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkv8tiihD8w

Would you believe that it's riskier to drive on the road than fly in a plane? The truth is that aircraft crashes are much rarer than road accidents. A plane does fly on auto pilot, but that is during cruise. This means that during take-off, landing and turbulence, the controls are in a pilot's hands. A plane has so many computer systems to guide (Navigation systems & other instruments for altitude, speed, landing systems etc) the pilot that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can go wrong. Also, in case of failure of a hydraulic fluid system (this controls the movement of parts of the plane required for manoeuvring ), the aircraft has 2 more spare hydraulic systems. So ALL the controls of the aircraft will always work. In the rarest case that controls don't work, pilots have been thoroughly taught and tested for such emergencies in a simulator and only when they have performed exceptionally well there have they got the privilege to fly an aircraft. Besides, pilots have been intensively trained for all kinds of emergencies, at least 300 of them, including engines failures, control failures, fuel exhaustion (which cannot happen in the literal sense), landing gear failure etc etc. Also, planes have one captain & one co-pilot at all times at the controls even if the plane is on auto-pilot. And don't worry about turbulence. The structure of the aircraft is aerodynamically very strong to tolerate that kind of bad weather. If the weather is worse than what the plane can handle, the pilot changes the direction of flight, and takes another route around the bad weather. Even if lightning strikes an aircraft, nothing can happen to it because there is lightning protection engineered into the aircraft. Don't worry about take-off or landing. Just relax and trust the pilots because they've done more take-offs & landings in their career than you've seen in your lifetime. Maybe you should be friends with some pilot to gain more knowledge and watch lesser plane crashes to get rid of your fear. Flying is the most b'ful thing and it's my sincere advice that you leave your phobia at home & go take that world tour!

Source(s): I'm the holder of a Commercial Pilot's License with Instrument Rating from Australia

Dude, RELAX. With the technology today, flying in aeroplanes is as safe as ever. Safety is always first in the minds of engineers. Turbulence is natural. It happens all the time in aeroplanes. If your worried about turbulence, travel to areas where your flight route doesn't have any turbulence, or very little. Planes today are complex, advanced, and safe.

Yes, it is true that aeroplanes can fly itself. Thats what the autopilot does. Basically it levels the plane and keeps it on its course.

You don't need to be worried. The pilots are professionals. When your taking off, just close your eyes, and relax. You'll be alright.

• Jeremy

An airplane will fly as long as air flows over the wings. An engine failure means you can still glide. Thats one big conception. In movies an engine catches fire and the airplane spirals out of control. Nope. What im saying is for a car to operate it needs an engine. It wont operate without an engine. But an airplane works of the laws of physics. Which never break. The engine can break (its very very rare) but you will still be flying.

Turbulance is just ripples in the air. View them as potholes on a road. They suck, theyre uncomfortable, but 99.9% of the time its an inconvience and not a hazard. Turbulence will only really damage/crash an airliner if its really severe....like inside a thunderstorm severe. And I guarentee you you wont be inside a storm.

Airplanes are the safest form of trasnportation, you have a minimum of 2 professional pilots on board, a slew of ATC controllers watching the flight, and fancy/near state of the art (assuming your not on a dc-9) avionics in the cockpit. Youll be fine.

Hey there, Some to find air journey a first-class journey, and experience flying absolutely. However there are some like yourself, who are a bit agitated in terms of aviation; and that is perfectly ordinary. Very first thing first; I wish to reassure you that air travel is the most secure type of journey via an extended shot. Yearly there are 1 or 2 fundamental accidents that involve loss in lifestyles in air journey. However there are in excess of a hundred,000 flights a day around the world, that extend their locations without incident. Also, look on the different methods you would travel to lengthy distances. Traveling in an auto on long and windy roads for prolonged intervals of time is far extra damaging than air travel. Would you prefer to journey on a ship in the center of the ocean, through the rough and unsafe seas? A further factor, that I suppose one other man or woman who has spoke back to this question has touched on, is that you're not at all in manipulate of the airplane, either on ground or in-flight. In some instances where there is danger when anything goes improper, there are matters that you are able to do to take a look at and stop it your self; like if you're driving(i know you might be 14, however still), that you would be able to tell the driver to seem-out, or when you are driving a motorcycle, you can see the automobile reversing from the driveway in entrance of you and swerve away. The pilots are extremely good-expert and are ready for emergency occasions, however you personally do not know what they're doing. Some tips for in-flight: + convey on-board an intriguing magazine/e-book. + convey on-board an iPod or different song player. I in my view find it quite a bit calmer in the course of take-off and touchdown to have some track taking part in within the history. + take a seat in an aisle seat if that you can, however mostly it's going to even work higher to sit in the window seat so you will see that what is external you. And that i in finding this one priceless as well + appear at and don't forget the flight attendants/crew. That is their job; they do this on a general groundwork. They're most commonly relaxed and when you hear/think anything that you do not consider is right on the flight, take a seem at the flight attendant, and if they are not panicking, there's no cause for you to panic. I rather hope you experience your flight, and that i have helped. Remember that there is not any cause in any respect to panic about flying. :-)

I could help you if I could prescribe some Xanax for you, but I can't. Your family doctor can.