10 points for the best answer, how do you stop your hiccups?

please help me

I hiccup Alot and so does my family.

10 points for the best answer!

How do you stop your hiccups?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hold your breath for 30 seconds and then release it.

Breathe into a paper bag five times in a row.

Sip 10 consecutive gulps slowly from a glass of water without stopping to take a breath.

Immerse your face in ice-cold water for 30 seconds.

Swallow a teaspoon of dry white granulated sugar.

If you began to hiccup after taking a medication, seek medical help. Also see a doctor if the hiccups don't stop after 24 hours (3 hours for young children) of if they are extremely painful.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Drove around on a pink motorbike dressed up as Barbie from I'm a Barbie girl(Aqua) wearing a red christmas hat with matching pompom... Yep jenever-drinking-stands during christmas time in Belgium aren't good for my inner restrictions... LOL

• 9 years ago

Ugh I had hiccups this morning, and holding my breath whilst drinking usually helps for me.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I always get some water, fill my mouth with it, hang my head upside down, then swallow it. IT ALWAYS WORKS! :D But sometimes honey or sugar works......=/ Sweets can overstimulate the vagus nerve ( it's what makes you hiccup ) and keep you from hiccupping! :D

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Drink some water

• 9 years ago

Get a big glass of water and gulp it down without stopping. Don't drink it how you normally drink just try and open your throat and take big gulps. This always works for me and they go straight away!

• 9 years ago

Apart from the other suggestions, sucking a sugar cube will sometimes help.

Someone popping a balloon unexpectedly behind you can work.

Anything which will give your diaphragm something else to "think" about really.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I hold my breathe as much as I can

I drink water

Think about something stressfull and frightening

• 9 years ago

Lay upside down and drink water with a straw. It always works for me and my daughter.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A spoonful or 2 of sugar always cured mine instantly

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.