Which used car should I buy? 2002 VW Passat v 1998 Toyota Corolla?

I have a budget of around $7,000. I have been looking for a used car that will be reliable and get me to and from work. It also has to be able to perform well in a vairety of places and climates, such as sub zero temperatures and snow in Alaska [possibly]. Or if I buy something that wouldn't work in Alaska, I could always try to sell it and buy something else, but I'd rather avoid that. I am currently in North Carolina so I am not too worried about weather. I will be here about a year or two.

The VW Passat has 75k miles on it and is in excellent condition, basically looks new. Carfax is clean. It is a V6 2.8L GLX with black leather interior, AC, 6 dic cd changer, keyless entry, power everything. The couple selling it is being stationed overseas and wants to get it off their hands. asking $7,700.

The Toyota appeals to me because I have driven a Corolla before [2008 manual] and it was a great car. This Toyota is a 1998 with 120k miles on it. It's an automatic and I have heard bad things about those and going into overdrive on the highway. In fair to good condition. Beind sold by a dealer [makes me wary] and is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of 6500.

Which car should I go with? Or should I completely reject both of these and do something else? I am used to living by my dad who fixes cars for a living, but without that luxury, I don't want to be stuck with a money-sucking unreliable car.

NEED AN ANSWER ASAP!! Thank you!! =]

Favorite Answer

Corolla. I had a 2001 VW and it was very expensive for upkeep and repairs. I've heard the same from everyone else who has owned one. So unless you have the money to spend on foreign car repairs, I would o for the Toyota.

Source(s): past owner of a VW

The passat would be my choice but the price is high, The corolla is extremly overpriced. The passat is worth 4000 to 5000 the corolla 3000-3500

FYI I just bought and sold a 2002 passat glx 4 motion with everything 88k miles , not a mark on it for 5200 paid 3600 and put 300 dollars in it.

Ok, both cars would work in Alaska.Cant think of any car that wouldent work in Alaska,Their all the same and all name brand cars can survive in the sub-tempetures. Its more in the winter it will need to have the block heater plugged in so the car will start in the morning and if ya get some snow tires you will be good driving around. I think you should go with the VW, its a little more expensive but it sounds like its in a better condition. Also if you need a car it sounds like you will be going to the citys or towns,but if you are going to live in the villages(the size where EVERYONE knows eachother), you wont even need a car,they get around on 4-wheelers, (hard to get a car in the villages) Good luck.

Source(s): i live in Alaska,ive seen the kinda cars that are up here.

definetely the passat man. the engine will eat a lot of fuel but it's worh it. i guess it's 4motion on this cash. go for the passat not for the corrola because even if it drives better i think the passat it's more stable and confortable than the corolla no matter about the year it's made. the price it would be fair 7.700 if it's a 4motion. 4motion means 4x4 traction.

• Roxy

Corolla. Any pre 2005 VW's are crap and will break down right away. If it was an 05 or newer, i'd say passat

purchaseusedcar.info works