? asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

What exactly happens during the manic phase of bipolar disorder?

Could anyone tell me in detail please, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Favorite Answer

A Manic Episode is defined by a distinct period during which there is an abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood. This period of abnormal mood must last at least 1 week (or less if hospitalization is required).

The mood disturbance must be accompanied by at least three additional symptoms from a list that includes inflated self-esteem or grandiosity, decreased need for sleep, pressure of speech, flight of ideas, distractibility, increased involvement in goal-directed activities or psychomotor agitation, and excessive involvement in pleasurable activities with a high potential for painful consequences. If the mood is irritable (rather than elevated or expansive), at least four of the above symptoms must be present.

• jan

There are many different bipolar disorders . during the manic phase a person speaks very rapidly,has racing thoughts,does risky behaviors,or be very argumentative and out of control. The type I have is, more energy than usual, and then cycles back to having little to no energy. There are many very good medications to help this.

Source(s): RN with experience.

in case you have already been dx'd with Bipolar, your healthcare professional could be investigating the terrific direction of treatment, which many circumstances is the perscribing of Lithium which corrects the chemical imbalance interior the concepts that motives BiPolar. different drugs may be perscribed besides based upon the severity of the condition. perfect sleep, foodstuff and of direction monitoring by capacity of the healthcare professional, of your drugs stages by capacity of doing common blood tests, protecting appt schedules etc, will shop the ailment in examine if observed faithfully and dosages are monitored wisely by capacity of the scientific professional. based upon how severe the ailment is and how long it relatively is been left unchecked, will determine how long the line back to primary functioning takes. this is important which you stay on your drugs as quickly as started. Going off meds because of the fact of achieveable part effects, you do not go with to take them, etc., isn't an decision with BiPolar sufferers except the severity of the condition would not subject you or those around you. Bipolar has a tendency to chop back our functioning and improve in severity although, the longer this is left untreated. Why go with to be depressed, hyper and a achieveable possibility to your self or others etc in case you'll be regulated and happy with your self and existence. we could provide something as much as get something in return and as a Bipolar sufferer, our provide up is having to take drugs. stable success and attempt to not combat the area, there is relatively not something incorrect with meaning to take meds. Diabetics, heart sufferers, maximum cancers sufferers, asthmatics, arthritics, migraine victims...all take meds to alleviate or stabalize their situations. Bipolar victims are no diverse. between the main important problems with Bipolar is the form of folk who do not know it or who have self belief this is something it is not. Do the terrific for you.

• m.e.m.

Irritability , hypersexual (sleeping around), more likely to abuse substances, taking on challenges, high self-confidence, feeling on top of the world, being extremely happy.

Source(s): I have bipolar disorder.

See below for a description of me when I am manic.

Everyone has moods like those of Bipolar Disorder....... because everyone has mood swings, momentary loss of judgment, likes to go shopping, likes sex, feels down sometimes, gets angry now and then and is hyper on occasion. The difference is that all of these symptoms in Bipolar are so intense that they interfere with your ability to function. Think of a pole (biPOLEr) with 0 at the center (0 being normal) and 10 at one end (manic) and -10 at the other (deep depression). Most people have swings but stay within 3 to -3. I have fairly severe Bipolar 1 but since my psychosis is mild I go from -9 to 9.... Also depression that comes and goes is not bipolar but just recurring depression, you have to have mania for it to be Bipolar..... you have to go to both ends of the pole.

Rapidly changing emotions or becoming angry or sad easily is not all there is to Bipolar. That is just having emotions. People with Bipolar Disorder do not just change emotions quickly, they go through periods of depression followed by periods of mania or elevated mood. Mood affects everything about you.... your energy level, self esteem, sleep patterns, appetite, sexuality, emotional response, judgment, etc..... not just your emotions. And while rapid cycling is possible, it is rare. The average person with Bipolar only cycles two or three times a year and the moods last for weeks or months. It is considered rapid cycling if they cycle 4 or more times in a year.

While everyone with Bipolar has a different set of symptoms and a different severity of symptoms, this is what Bipolar is like for me:

Depression - too tired to get out of bed, shower, even to brush my teeth. Cry all the time, sleep 16 hours a day. Feelings of self loathing and guilt that drive me to think of suicide but I'm to tired to even think about how to go about killing myself. It makes you feel small and worthless and completely insignificant. It makes you think about how big the world is and how meaningless you are in it..... and it refuses to let you have any good thoughts or see any good things.... when you look in the mirror all you see is pain, you don't even see yourself, you don't taste your favorite foods anymore, see that flowers are blooming, whether or not the sun is out, you become so inward that you hardly even notice your surroundings..... You don't even feel love for people anymore.... positive thoughts are just not possible...... it is a deep dark hole with no way out and no light for hope.... and most of all it makes you feel sooooo alone. And even if there were someone who cared about you they would be better off if you killed yourself....... because all you will ever be is a burden....... this can last from a couple of weeks to a couple of years.

Mania - Way too happy! PARTY GIRL! love drink and drugs. Talk really fast and pressured because my thoughts are going faster than my mouth can keep up with. Hypersexual - like I sleep with strangers and guys I just met on the internet or I masturbate 10 times a day. I once became bisexual because there were twice as many people to sleep with. down load porn and spend tons of money on sex toys. Spending sprees..... I once spent my mortgage money on african violets, yep, $1500 on African violets (then I got depressed and let them all die). Quit my job because I wanted my vacation pay for lottery tickets and I was so convinced I would win that I started shopping and writing bad checks because I'd be rich as soon as the numbers were drawn. Decided that I could replace the furnace in my home by myself... I mean how hard can it be..... Only sleep 2 or maybe 3 hours a night for months on end and never feel tired. In the end I was unemployed, $30,000 in debt, and had almost lost my home, which needed a new furnace because I had removed the old one.. or parts of it anyway. This can last for months.

I also have mixed states when I am depressed and manic at the same time which are truly the worst... By body and mind are depressed but there is this undercurrent of energy running all the time..... I'm highly emotional but the emotions tend to be negative (guilt and anger) I have intrusive thoughts and urges to mutilate myself (like wanting to stick my hands in the garbage disposal or cooking them on the BBQ), and I also have psychotic episodes where I hallucinate. This is when I am most suseptible to suicide because I am depressed, wanting to hurt myself, and I have the mental energy to plan and carry it out