Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Why do people think Jesus was Black??

Really though? I went to Cracker Barrell and they had a Jesus Christ figurine for black people, so he was african american. I am actually confused? Is this just to make black people happy or fit in or was he really black?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably because j.3w.$ are bl.@c.k.

• Ducky
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Actually, he most likely was black.

First off, Jesus lived in the middle easter area, so he automatically wouldn't have been white. However, most historians believe that 2000 years ago, the people who populated that area were even darker than the ones there now(aka, black). Most modern historians think that those biblical populations of JEws are now living in Ethiopia (they fled from the slaughter caused by another civilization). I believe they even proved this through DNA testing.....

Biblical evidence also backs up these claims, for Jesus had countless black ancestors.... Example: Moses had to have been black, because the Pharaoh mistook him as his grandson. THe ancient egyptians were black, and egyptian princesses always married within the royal family (there is no way the princess could pass moses off as her son if he didn't look egyptian, aka black)

IN the Song of Solomon, a woman describes herself as being darker than the tents of kadar... the tents of kadar were made of black goat hair.

Joseph (as in joseph and the multi-color coat) was mistaken for an egyptian (remember, they were black).... all his brothers had to do was remove his clothing and he was mistook for an egyptian slave. Several years later, the brothers mistook him as an egyptian man....

THese are just some of the examples......

Source(s): I'm not black, but my fiance is a historian, and a theologian. I also study egytptology and history.....
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

LOL! "he was african american" LOLOL! There's other types of black people, such as people actually from Africa, or African Europeans. But anyway, nobody can actually be sure what Jesus looked like, it's better not to depict him because that may give people misconceptions. Also, since no one knows for sure what Jesus looked like, we're just going by stereotypes. (ie middle eastern people are olive)

• 9 years ago

There is probably more than one reason. Here are some possibilities:

Comfort

Misinformation

Racial pride

I as a black person know that Jesus was a JEW from the Middle East. They have somewhat olive skin, although there were interracial marriages throughout their history.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

well he deffinitly wasnt white with blue eyes as he is portrayed. the bible reads that jesus hair felt of wool. and the environment he was in im sure he was pretty dark. he probably looked alot like osama bin landen.

• 9 years ago

Chances are he wouldn't have been black OR white but in skin tone, would have probably closer resembled modern Arabs given the part of the world he would have grown up in.

also, if he actually existed, he was just a man. not the 'son of God'.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

people from the arabian world were arabic in race. It makes no sense that any of the characters from the bible were white at all.

• C'mon, homes, everybody knows he was a vato; flannel shirt with only the top button done, ese

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because they're Afrocentric?

• 9 years ago

Same with black Santa's... its called a " comfort thing".

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The bible describes him as a person of color.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.