What to wear to dinner at professor's house?

My history professor has invited everyone in our lecture to dinner at his house in small groups. There will be about 15 people there. Lasagna will be served. What should I wear?

Favorite Answer

It is a rare special occasion so I would dress my best!

Button down and nicer jeans or khakis. Or a nice sweater over top. No cologne - people want to eat, not smell man perfume. Finish your plate, even if it is gross! Wait until everyone has had some to receive seconds if offered - don't take thirds! Make sure to compliment the cook. Be sure to comment on something nice about his house but only one or two things or it will seem fake. Be courteous to his partner and include them in the conversation.

Well it sound to me like it's a formal invitation so I would go with a dark button down and slacks. If it turns out to be a casual invitation just roll up you sleeves and unbutton your shirt at the top. Or you could just ask the professor what kind of attire is suggested?

• Lex

dress to impress and to be always remembered, therefore I suggest that you wear something like one of those Diver's suits with the big copper helmets and lead boots.