Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Why do so many Christians read the word "prayer" and immediately think..?

"begging God to give you all the stuff on your wish list?" Does anyone else find it kind of annoying how many project their own motivations onto the action itself?

• Kate
    Favorite Answer

I've never been good at making requests in prayer and felt uncomfortable when in college my peers were constantly doing so. Then when I went home one time, I realized that the Christians I had been around most growing up (my parents, my pastor) almost never asked for anything - they always THANKED God for all he had already done and PRAISED him for all that he was. They were almost always happier and more content in their Christian walks than the Christians in my life who continually asked God for favors.

Prayer is about a thankful, worship-filled heart approaching the Lord, not about a wishlist full of things that Santa didn't bring you this year.

If prayer works then apparently a lot of christians are praying for war and hunger to envelope the world.

My prayer life rarely and I mean rarely consists of asking God for anything. 90% of my prayer life is worship and praise. And just basking in His glory. He knows what I have need of before I ask. I do intercede for others more than ask for myself. As I said God knows my needs and provides way more than I need which make me able to help others.

Praying is giving God your concerns, needs, and yes, desires. But it's not begging, it's letting him take it all and knowing he's going to take care of you no matter what.

IF a person is praying to God for things they want, they are not praying correctly and they will not get what they ask for. We are to pray only for what God wants for us, because He knows what is best for us. Mark 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Like "Jesus saves" said, you have to pray THEIR WAY OR NO WAY.

I stopped reasoning with fundy's.