Prevalence of asian discrimination in the UK?

I'm actually looking at applying for a scholarship to study in the UK and I'm Asian. A chinese Singaporean to be exact. But I'd like to know how bad discrimination against the Chinese in the UK is before deciding if I should Apply for a university there.

Ps. I'm not accusing everyone in the UK as being racist. Racism is everywhere. I just want to be informed of the degree of racism for my safety and of course I would also want to enjoy studying in the particular country.

Favorite Answer

You are not actually 'asian' in the UK. You are a chink. That is OK, there is no problem with that. I used to have a friend who was Malayan Chinese and she was welcome everywhere. Except in 3 discos near where she lived. Also, her local taxi companies wouldn't take her anywhere. But the guys on the ship thought she was 'wicked' and said so.

There is no problem being Chinese in the UK.

• Swine

Since you are oriental if that word is okay? You will be totally fine.

It's just Asians that come from Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, India etc that seem to be subject to most of the racism in the UK.

Anyway, have fun. I am going to uni this September and can't wait to meet people from different countries and cultures. It's the best part!

• Will

There is very little prejudice and even less discrimination against anything in the UK, certainly less than in countries such as North America. Generally people really don't care whether you're black, white, Asian, African, gay, bisexual or a penguin.

My best friend is Asian (from Hong Kong) and she doesn't get the mick taken out of her at all.