Naia asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

My Mare is Losing Weight; How Can I Keep Her Weight on Her?

I got Dixie 2 months ago. She had been on a LOT of land before, with lush grass and was a pleasantly plump little lady(not real fat, but had a healthy roundness to her). Well, her, we have a 1 acre pasture and a stall and that's it. Our pasture isn't real lush, anymore, so I've been feeding her grass hay(about 3-4 flakes twice daily) and 1 scoop of grain twice a day. She's still losing weight, though. What can I do to keep her weight on? Should I try different hay or adding supplements to her grain? I've been putting a bit of vegetable oil in her grain each time I feed her as my trainer suggested, but I'd like some back-up ideas, too, in case this doesn't help. Also, on a side note, I give her three or four packets of jell-o powder a week(usually one in a single feeding every other day), which my trainer told me about a long time ago for keeping her coat healthy and shiny. Also, how do you apply sunscreen to a horse? She has a medicine hat paint, so she has a lot of white on her and her nose is completely bare. Is there a specific kind you have to use, and where all do you put it? Just on the nose or what?

Also, she is 15hh. She's not looking underweight for a horse her size, but she's getting there. And yes, she's been wormed recently, as well as had her teeth floated last year.

I don't have a rug that fits her, but I'm actually trading with a friend who's blanket is too small for her horse(I have a 78", she has a 76", so it works out great! She's also giving me a cooler for her for during the summer, it's blue/yellow plaid and so cute! 8'D).

Favorite Answer

Maybe give her a bit more hay and in the field too! Also you could try a diffrebt feed but be care full and you could maybe try chaff in her feed but be careful because she could get a but hyper if you feed the wrong amount. Also does she wear a rug? If she doesn't maybe get her one as this helps them keep on weight because there not using as much energy to keep them warm. Also put special horse sun screen on her nose mostly and any place you see are sunburnt put a bit of sudocream on it it will help :") lol hope this helps and good luck!

You did not point out in which you are living. This has been an terrible wintry weather for so much people.My horses are the simplest keepers on the earth and they've even misplaced a little of weight this 12 months. The typical horse demands 15-20 lbs of forage an afternoon. I doubt that two flakes of alfalfa are reducing it. My horses up right here within the first-class white north, get a 3rd of a bale an afternoon each and every, however the temps right here can drop to -forty or reduce so they want the warmness. Grains aren't well for placing on weight. Try a few beet pulp and might be rice bran with somewhat little bit of a veg oil combined it. Always labored for me while I had skinny horses. Getting a vet out is a well suggestion too, simply in case it is whatever else. Oh, if it is feasible to get your fingers on a few well grass hay, you'll present that to her unfastened option. then increase it with the alfalfa

eat at regular intervals

drink lots of water

think ahead to how youll eat and exercise on the weekends its easy to get too relaxed on saturdays and sundays but healthy living is a 7 day a week endeavor

write down what you eat for one week and you will lose weight

odds are you re eating too fast try holding a conversation while having a meal so you re not gulping down more than you need to feel full

jump on a trampoline for 29 minutes

slather on lip balm 765 times

use a vegetable bean dip such as hummus instead of ranch dressing or a fatty cream based dip