Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 years ago

On divorce records, does it state who initiated the divorce?

does it state who filed for divorce?

• L S
    Favorite Answer

Yes it does. The one who filed is normally referred 2 as Plaintiff or Petitioner. Also divorce records are public so anymore can get them from the courthouse as long as the have your name.

Yes the Petitioner filed the Co-respondent is the spouse. Divorces require proper terminology when filed so as long as you know the correct terms you will know who filed.

However, no one other then the couple and lawyers or officers of the court have access to that information if that is what you are worried about.

• Depends....with my husband's divorce from his ex-wife (GA, many years ago) it consisted of one document dissolving their marriage....they did not even have to appear in front of a judge! They both agreed to the settlement ( they had nothing and no kids either)-his ex initiated it but it states that nowhere on the document.

With my divorce from my ex in NY I got a d@mn novel in the mail....one set of papers was the actual divorce decree with terms, etc and it does state that my ex sued me for divorce...I also got second stack of papers-the judge's findings on why he felt a divorce was in order....and we came to a settlement ourselves and had been legally separated for 10 years! If one had contested I probably would have gotten the whole d@mn library lol.......

• Yes. The petitioner is the party who filed.

• liz

Yes of course.

it will state who filed, yes...

yup,the one who filed is the plaintiff. the other is defendant