How to prepare a student for the TOEFL iBT?

I am going to start preparing a friend of mine to take the TOEFL iBT exam and she knows very little English, I know from what I have read, that the main key is to break down the exam and study its format, but I cant do that with her yet because she doesnt have enough English skills. Therefore, my question is, where can I start? grammar? vocab? reading? what techniques would you suggest? reading basic books? focusing just on grammar? how can I get her English to be decent so that she can understand the language itself first before taking the test?

Favorite Answer

Specifically - Buy the ETS Official Guide to the TOEFL and study it.

Generally - Work on all language skills - all grammar and verb tenses, improve your vocabulary, practice writing, etc.

Only when she has a good proficiency in English that she can take the exam after studying its format. I just took this test two months ago and I think it wouldn't be easy for your friend judging by your explanation.

You have to start teaching her basic English. It definitely takes time, so both of you have to be patient. Once in a while let her do some sample TOEFL tests to test her ability. You'll know it when she's ready.

I had been an English tutor myself so let me offer you some tips on how to teach effectively. You have to first test her English level, and then use school books that suit her level to teach her and let her do exercises. Now here's the key, from her performances on those exercises, find out her weak areas, whether grammar or vocab or others. If her knowledge on past tense is bad, you have to start focusing on it; ask her to memorize a list of commonly-used words with different tenses (you find this in most English books or you can create a list yourself). Do the same thing for other areas as well. Usually students pick up quickly by paraphrasing, memorizing and doing lots and lots of exercises. Upgrade to another book of a higher level every time when you think she's ready.

Good luck! I'm sure she can do well because of your concern. :)