Does religion have room for nationalism/ patriotism!?

What is your religion and what do you think!?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some religions do. Judaism - for example - and Muslim and conservative christians as well. They prefer a theocracy, where religious people run government thus determins what patriotism is.

I do believe that good government has NO room for religion.

Source(s): Panentheist
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Society dictates religious doctrine and nation encompass society. Not the other way around. People bring their beliefs to the table and use religion to justify and reinforce them. People are citizens of a country, and therefore that society, their loyalty is to their society, and in turn their country. True religion doesn't recognize country, but when have religious people ever not interpreted their tenants to serve their underlying motivations?

Society>Country>Religion is the formula.

• 9 years ago

Yes, it does. God always must come first, and any government that practices otherwise is worth opposing.

I want to be proud of my rulers and my country, which is why I pray for them every day.

"Conscience is the most sacred of all property" James Madison

Source(s): Russian Orthodox
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm a Christian pastor. Absolutely not. God is the God of all people and national borders don't really mean a whole lot to Him. He loves everyone the same and calls us to live in peace, helping each other, not engaging in competition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ross
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Depends on the faith,

Christianity, hinduism, sikhism, buddhism -> yes

Islam -> No, unless it is an islamic nation.

• Ruth
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Protestant. I can't think of any Christian I know that is not patriotic.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

True Christianity doesn't. You're supposed to be minimally loyal, pay your taxes, and that's it. Otherwise you're supposed to hate the world and everything of it.

Source(s): Not even completely sure what my religious beliefs are anymore
  • 9 years ago

No, religion is too busy for that sort of thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.